Gearchange on ZX TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Gearchange on ZX TD

Post by Twiss »

Hello People.just been reading though the some of the posts (mainly on zx clutchs)
and found a few things in common with my zx, first gear sometimes is stiff to get into gear, second is abit cruncy but not often and third sometimes stop me from going in at all. now is this the sycomesh thingy or a clutch problem?[:(] have changed the gearbox oil with 75w 80w from cit dealer about 4k miles ago.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

i take it theres nothing to worry about then ?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sounds like worn synchromesh - did it do the same before the ghearbox oil change and how many miles has the car gone?
RedLine Oil produce a special oil for difficult gearboxes.
//NiSk
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Twiss
If it is a clutch problem, it will crunch when you engage reverse, as this has no synchromesh.
If it engages reverse cleanly, the problem is with the gearbox, but is probably not serious. Is all the linkage OK, and quite free?
HTH
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

the linkage can dryout from the heat from the exhaust if the heat shield is missing, i had a zx which had a very stiff gearbox and add some slick fifty and made it a lot better.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

the gearbox di have stiff time getting into first but not any other gear before the oil change. after the oil change all gear sfelt fine lovely infact then the stiff ness come back. the reverse gaer only crunchs occasionly (thats proberly me!!)
no ii havent greased up the links yet i will try that at the weekend.
the car has just gone the passed the 126,000 miles mark.
if the synchromesh has gone and needs to be replaced, it an easy job or is it a case of droping the gearbox and taking it apart?
but lets try the easiest things first right.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

UpDate !!!! Well after Greasing thew gear linkage the gear change is mush better but i still have trouble getting into 1st 2nd 3rd maybe 4th but never 5th. i also have now found that the clutch bites at the last moment when going from 2nd to 3rd When accelerating, when i drive slow i dont notice this. it feels like the engine revs up alittle then makes contact with the gears and throws me forward.