LNA!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

LNA!

Post by Jon »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 35868&rd=1
This could be the ideal car for Marty ! [;)] [:D]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

30K ! heh shame about the 1 lady owner, must have had a hard life (lol joke)
My parents had a brown one for quite a while :)
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

A friend of mine used to work with Ray who's selling this car. He's a decent dealer.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Guess who has had a little bid?!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Been thinking this afternoon - been doing a lot of that as the clinic was a bit slack.
Wondering if its worth throwing some money at the ZX to get it good again. After all engine does not smoke and no rust to talk about. Besides, if i buy something smaller and newer to run as my work hack, one of my "patinets" will only go and scratch it / dent it /nick it...
So i had a think... it needs a little fetteling to get it good again, probably about £400 ish throwing at it, but at the end of the day i will still have a car which drives well enough, has enough room to cart the family and houshold items that it so often lugs about - i only fettled the tow bar electrics a few months back - so i can tow me trailer of rubbish to the tip etc. The only real reason i want rid is that i feel that a smaller car will be cheaper to run - but will it?
Ok £50 a year difference in Tax, but asside from that tyres will cost roughly the same, insurance for a newer car will be either the same or more, other consumables will be about the same depending on where i source them from.
I get 50 mpg with a lead right foot (80-90 every night down the M55).
And finally my son wants a yellow car (for those who dont know he's 5 nearly 6 with autism, and sometimes you have to do these things as presently he hates travelling in the green Xantia.)
So im debating getting the subframe mounts sorted, possibly changing the head gasket BEFORE it goes (slight leak) and asking the firm which does the radio taxis in Blackpool to quote me for a yellow paint job.
have i taken leave of my senses? Probably.
Still bid on the LNA though - I think it looks nice!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

It looks very nice, always been a fan of LN/A's and Visa etc. Had 3 visa but no LN/A's. Interior of that car is a mix of GSA, Visa and peugeot, weird, old fashioned for 1984 though dont you think.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Old fashioned... Yep!
But i rather like its simplicity and acres of pvc. I think its quaint in an ugly duckling sort of way - sure its not a GTi Visa, (its basically the Talbot Samba with different indicators and badges) but its a little bit of Citroen History and if i win it will fill up a bit of my lock up quite nicely for a while.
Once again the wife thinks i am very soft in the head and is probably going to cite this as grounds for divorce at some point in the future....
"Look love" i said to her, "whilst im getting all oily on an old citroen, im not playing away from home....."
Im not sure she was swayed by this argument as a valid reason to keep an old citroen!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Did you buy the LNA in the end?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Isn't it the one where interesting things happen when you undo the very long head bolts? (like the gearbox falling off!)
//NiSk
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

LNA was pulled early - obviously my offer wasnt good enough as he never got nack to me - seems to have been sold to someone else.
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

Its a great car really but Im the only one interested in them here in australia but cant afford to bring one out here....
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

And while we are on the subject of LNAs, I have just brought an LNA back from France. It's an early '84 652cc version- white, with about 74k miles. Got to give it a bit of a clean, service and check over before I take it for it's mot next week. All things being well, should be on the streets properly in a fortnight...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

652cc ?
Is that the aircooled engine that was also used in the Visa?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Steve: Whats involved with bringing a french car into the uk. Ie did you drive it, if so do you just ring your uk insurers with its french number plate? I presume you have to apply for a UK plate from the dvla once over here etc? I want to bring over a french visa gti at some point as cars just dont seem to rust as much over there. Last time I was in mid france in 2003 I saw a load of mk1 visa's which stopped in 1978 or something and none had any rust!
cheers
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Just to clarify, the LNA was introduced in October 1978 with the 652cc Visa engine (the Visa was launched earlier in July of that year with the choice of the 652cc engine or the 1124cc Peugeot 104 engine). It wasn't until mid-1982 that the Peugeot-engined LNA was introduced- the one that was sold here for 2 years. So from mid-1982 onwards the LNA range consisted of the base model LNA with the 652cc engine and the water-cooled 11E and 11RE models.
We never got the air-cooled version here and as I already have a 2CV6 and a Dyane (albeit in somewhat dissassembled states) I thought the LNA would be an ideal little runabout. My one is the Entreprise version- no rear seats, just a flat load area and black vinyl seat covers (oh dear, that brings back painful memories of hot summers and burnt legs from super-heated seats in a Hillman Avenger...)
Importing is quite straightforward- ring up DVLA to get an import pack with all the forms you need- you don't have to fill in half the boxes if the car is over 10 years old, which is good). Make sure the car you are buying is roadworthy with a current Controle Technique, the french mot, or be prepared to go over with a trailer if it hasn't. If you are driving, insurance is tricky as English insurance companies can not provide any cover at all for a foreign-registered car abroad (this is due to change this year, but I have no idea when). What I did was find a french insurance compay that could offer temporary cover to enable me to drive the car to Calais legally- that cost 40 euros for 1 day- www.clickassure.com (make sure your french is up to scratch!). You will need to provide a copy of the Carte Grise, the tiny little registration document that is like the V5, and both sides of your UK driving licence, then pay the premium by credit card. They send you a form to sign and return (by fax if necessary).
Then you just need to get insurance sorted for when you reach UK soil. Insurers will need the chassis number to provide cover. You are only supposed to drive the car to a pre-booked mot once you arrive, so organise that in advance, just to be on the safe side.
Once your car passes the mot, you can then register your car and get a UK registration number- this will be given on the new V5 when it arrives.
I have yet to do the mot bit so I can't say how long it takes to get the new V5 and reg number back- hopefully not too long.
I thought driving a lhd car in England might be a bit odd, but it is easy to get used to- and having such a tiny engine I am not going to be overtaking very often.....