Help Please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CommY
My Cars:

Help Please

Post by CommY »

Hi
I am about to try and refurbish/replace 5th gear on my Xantia 1.9TD 1996/7 with the gearboxbox still in the car.[:o)]
Has anyone tried similar before or had a box apart and be able to give me any tips as they best way to go on or any pitfalls etc[?]
Thanks [:I]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Wouldn't it be better to remove the box off the engine so you can get it on the bench? On the gear boxes I've done I have always got them on the bench so as to be able to get to grips with them.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if its only the 5th gear/5th gear syncro your replacing it can be done easily in place,just remove the end casing & its pretty straight forward.the rest of the gears can be replaced without completely removing the box,you can do it with the bellhousing still in place.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

wheeler you are a star, it's the selector fork that needs replacing and the syncro as well. Now I know I can do this with the box in situ I will tackle it at the weekend.[:D]
You have made a sad man happy but I'm still a sad man and I don't mean mood wise[;)].
Does anyone know If the gearbox from a BX 1.6 petrol will have the same 5th gear as a 1997 Xantia TD i.e. is it the final drive ratios that differ from car to car on the BE3 box or do the gears themselves alter.