ZX water leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave215

ZX water leak

Post by dave215 »

My partner has a ZX 1.9 TD Aura. The problem is a while ago she had a new radiator fitted but ever since the bottom water hose has leaked. As we cant contact the person who fitted the radiator I decided to try repairing it myself. I noticed although the rubber hose was sealed to the metal pipe, the metal pipe was loose in the bottom of the radiator. I tried using sealer and filler but this still didnt stop the leak. Also the access to the pipe is really awkward. I was wondering if anyone has managed to fix athe same problem, I was wondering if you can buy any clips etc or kits from Citroen to fix this fault. Also would it be difficult to remove the radiator if I need to.. Thanks in advance Dave.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Radiator should unbolt at the top and lift out. Sounds like a bodge by whoever fitted radiator.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There is a strange bayonet fitting on the bottom hose. Some recent posts may help.
Jeremy
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I've done this job on the early and late ZXs I've had - that bottom hose is certainly a pain on the early model.
Sealant etc is certainly not the way to go. You have to get the O-rings seated properly; ie take it to bits and start again. I bought new O-rings from a main dealer and still had trouble. (So how do the main dealer mechanics cope?!) Access is the main difficulty as you have found. Some lubrication, eg a spot of washing-up liquid on the o-rings, might help.
See the many posts on bleeding the cooling system when you come to refill it...or you'll have even more headaches!
There is a plastic rotating locking device that causes strife as road grit gets in and it won't go "home". Half the problem is understanding how it is supposed to work! Then there's the bayonet-fitting small diameter pipe from the 'stat, that appears to be an air bleeding device.
At least Cit sorted it for the facelift model...
Simon Canfer