106 heater blower problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rupert bear

106 heater blower problem

Post by rupert bear »

i have a 106 xs 94 reg problem is blower used to work on all 3 speeds now doesnt work on speeds one or two only three, heater works ie hot and cold can anyone tell me exactly what the problem is as one dealer said heater blower motor and another one said its only the heater blower switch whos right!!!!!!
beezer

Post by beezer »

My money would be on the switch. I don't think the motor has several windings more like there are resistors involved in the switch circuit which could have burned out. I don't have a wiring diagram for the 106 unfortunately but if it follows the pattern of other Peugeots from that period then it will be as I reckon. How's Bill Badger?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

my money is on the motor,its actually a faulty rehostat but the unit isnt available seperately,comes as a complete motor.there are no windings in the switch.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Resistors not windings! If it has a three position switch it is likely using resistors. A rheostat is a variable resistor which is, in most cases, a rotary switch. In other words it is likely the switch. The only other way to vary the speed of a motor (without complicated semiconductor circuitry) would be to employ several windings on the motor.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

yeah it is a resistor pack not a rheostat but it comes as part of the motor,the switch only selects which path the feed takes through the resistor pack(3 of them in series) to vary the speed.
without being able to check it myself i'd still go for the motor(with internal resistor pack).
beezer

Post by beezer »

I did suspect they would stick the resistors in the motor casing. I would be inclined to pull the motor out and replace the resistors with wire wound but then again, I don't like to be forced to buy things that are not needed.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Looking back over theis forum it appears that the resistor block is available as a separate item. http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3571
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

last time i tried to get a resistor pack for one of these (a few years ago now) they were unavailable seperately also tried citroen as the saxo uses the same blower.
beezer

Post by beezer »

You need the perseverance of Kafkaian over on the Citroen section. Wire wound resistors from Maplin or RS components will cost pennies and fix the problem.