xantia cooling fan switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phatmatt
My Cars:

xantia cooling fan switch

Post by phatmatt »

just bought a '96 1.8sxi - lovely car very pleased... only the cooling fan doesn't kick in. top and bottom hose plus rad are all getting hot, temp guage is hitting 105 before i turn it off (still no fan). fan works when connected direct to the batt,motor cools nicely when the car is moving. its the cooling fan switch i hear you cry!.....only i cant find it and its driving me mad. i even bought a manual that only told me what i was expecting ... that its on the radiator. i dont have a/c so i dont think i fall into the bitron catagory....could i possibly have been duped with a rad from an a/c model? please save my sanity!!![xx(]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Should be on the radiator, sometimes on the left but can be on the right - about half way down.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

The temp sensor should be on the radiator on the lhs as you look at the car about half way down the rad, I think that there were a few models with the sensor on the rhs of the rad, if the hole is just blanked off with a plug, is there a sensor on the thermostat housing where it emerges from the block? is it an 8 or 16 valve car? I think the rads were all the same, I have a model with air con but the rad is the same, there is just a blanking plug where the sensor should be. If the hole is blanked off have a look for a connector with 3 wires (fairly heavy duty ones) coming to it somewhere near the blankig plug,.
Ha just looked in the ha***** book of lies and it appears to be a single speed sensor so only 2 wires, now I would be surprised if it were single speed so this may be another H**** F*** up, maybe one of the other guys with a car the same as yours will come up with a more definitive answer. Sorry to have rambled a bit,
Pete

________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
phatmatt
My Cars:

Post by phatmatt »

yeh there is a blanked off section about half way down on the lhs but nothing elsewhere on the rad. there is nothing obvious around the thermostat, would it be on the rear side of it? there is an unused connector with exactly the right length of cable comming from the loom at the bottom of the rad...hmmm
thanks for your prompt responses
phatmatt
My Cars:

Post by phatmatt »

the fog is clearing i think... two or three inches under the top hose is a threaded blank.... can i simply fit a switch there? if so what about the connector, does anyone think its the spare i mentioned?
beezer

Post by beezer »

If you bridge the terminals on the connector the fan should kick into life. If not think again! The threaded blank will be for the switch.
phatmatt
My Cars:

Post by phatmatt »

many thanks one and all, i'll see what the morning brings
phatmatt
My Cars:

Post by phatmatt »

ok im a bit confused but this is the situation as i see it - 1996 xantia 8v 1.8i with no a/c but with a bitron sensor (brown connector) at the rear of the thermostat housing (almost impossible to see) with a controller (black box,4''x2''x1'', with bitron written on it) under the engine compartment fuse cover.has anybody else experienced this configuration?.... i thought only a/c models have the bitron thing???
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

im sure you can get models without a/c that still have a bitron box,the thing you see in the fuse box may just be a normal relay (alot of them are also made by bitron),the actual bitron box is located under the l/h headlamp and has a 15 pin connector on it.disconect the brown sensor on the thermostat housing & the fans should kick in at full speed.
phatmatt
My Cars:

Post by phatmatt »

[:)]DEEP JOY [:)]problem solved, i disconnected the sensor after a struggle and some skin from my knuckles and to my surprise the fan did not kick in! this promted me to recheck all connections with the sensor still disconnected - hey presto dodgy connection on the fan itself, a squirt of WD and a cable tie later and im grinning from ear to ear.
thankyou all for your help - an excellent forum by the way, keep up the good work[:)][:)][:)]