306 Power Steering

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pcrichton

306 Power Steering

Post by pcrichton »

Hi,
the power steering on my 306TD (130,000 miles) has gone quite stiff - it is more noticeable at speed than when stopped - steering feels 'dead'. the belt is ok (good condition, not glazed, no squeeling) , there has been no fluid loss. Front tire pressures are normal (35psi). This has not been a gradual degredation, it was quite pronounced coming on suddenly. I've not hit any curbs or potholes recently. It seems I'm looking at a replacement pump or steering rack. Does anyone have any tips on diagnosing which part to replace? or similar problems they would like to share?
beezer

Post by beezer »

If you are not losing fluid then I would go for rack rather than pump. Any strange noises?
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

I would drain all the power steering fluid, the rack problems generally creep up on you, if its started quite suddenly then it sounds like a blocked line or pump failure. As pumps are 100ish notes then I'd try clearing the fluid and lines first. If that doesnt solve it then pump from a breakers might.
pcrichton

Post by pcrichton »

Hi breezer,
no strange noises, just a slight drop in engine revs on full lock, as normal
beezer

Post by beezer »

Unless the pump is leaking or noisy it is probably okay. Most are simple vane types. A blockage is more likely and I still would suspect the rack. Draining the fluid is a good idea as you will get an idea of condition of pump as well.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I had a similar problem on the Berlingo recently. I changed the fluid and the problem went. It must have been a blockage in my case as the vehicle is only 2 years old and 35,000 miles.
Have a check of the U/J from the rack to column (I take it the 306 has one)I've seen them sieze on 205's and other non-PSA vehicles. The most recent was on a Fiesta, the steering went scary stiff and undrivable in a week, and was cured in 5 minutes with an oil can.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Ah the dreaded Fiesta UJ!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Is it common the Beezer?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Looks like it is. I had one that would get so bad I had to drive home through puddles to lubricate it! My 205 gets pretty bad at times too.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I've had previous with a 205 too. I sorted a mates a while ago with the oil can.