thermostats

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

thermostats

Post by john alexander »

Hi As my xantia 1.9 tdi only reaches 70 degrees I thought new thermostat. local auto shop has 2 types , normal style and one with an extra section on the end. which one is correct and if mine has the shorter one how do I know if it is correct ??? thanks
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

John, go for a different shop or use GSF mail order. It is too great a risk putting in the wrong spec stat on the Xant. Also remember to get a new o ring seal too for it and flush the system while you have the hose off. Good time to change the antifreeze anyway. Robin
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

thats the problem Robin both stats are 83 degrees.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

John, I cannot say which from your description is correct. I have to say that my temp gauge only indicates about 75 deg and has done so since new. If the heater works well then perhaps all is OK anyway.
I can only suggest you take out the one you have test in a pan of hot water and see that it closes and opens properly. You will then know what the 'correct' looks like. Opening temp of 83 is correct for post Jan 97 models and all automatics, pre Jan 97 it is 89 deg. Fully open at 99 deg
Hope this helps with the dilemma. R.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

took the stat out , normal style,replaced it with new QH one couldn't get temp above 60, so swapped it back. Incidently other type of stat has another smaller stat built on to the end which looks as if it would seal against hole at back of housing . thanks robin, if you understand this could you explain it to me!!!!!.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

John, I cannot explain that one. My experience is only with my own Xantia, an R plate Tdi. Mine has a conventional stat and fits neatly in the engine end of the top hose.
This does beg the question as to whether the temp sender is OK? Have you got a Haynes book of lies?
At least the pictures show it as it is[}:)] Robin.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

John, when I replaced the stat on my Xsara it was a different design to the original, like the larger one you describe which seals the back of the housing. It was French, made by Velo-something-or-other.
It works. Car runs at 83 degrees, spot on.