306 problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

306 problem

Post by b21playa »

i reently started to hear a fan like noise while driving my TD, and thought the car was heating up quicker ( but not going past 95degrees as the fan kicked in)
as i got faster, the noise got louder, still dont know whatit is
i anyway disconnected the thermostat as advisedby someone and tested it and it fully opened and closed when heated and cooled respectively.
i have put it all back together and i started the car and there seesm to be loads of white smoke. i know i normally get this on cold start but only for 15seconds.
by the way i did adjust the screw on my bosch pump anticlosewise
anyone know what could be causing the white smoke and what the fan like noise it
beezer

Post by beezer »

Any loss of power?
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Could it be the "by the way i did adjust the screw on my bosch pump anticlosewise" that causes the smoke and your problem is elsewhere. When you say disconnected the Themostat do you mean removed and tested or what ?? Is the fan type noise directly related to speed i.e. a wheel bearing noise that gets louder and faster with speed or what. Regards Peter
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Which screw on the Bosch pump? If its the main fuelling adjustment, anti-clockwise is less fuel, so you shouldn't see smoke. I'd check and/or change the glowplugs. Is the coolant level staying constant (Eg not dropping or rising)?
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beezer</i>

Any loss of power?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
since ive mess with it yes
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter D</i>

Could it be the "by the way i did adjust the screw on my bosch pump anticlosewise" that causes the smoke and your problem is elsewhere. When you say disconnected the Themostat do you mean removed and tested or what ?? Is the fan type noise directly related to speed i.e. a wheel bearing noise that gets louder and faster with speed or what. Regards Peter
when i adjusted it, i got loads of white smoke.
yeah i removed to test it
it is related to speed, as in if i go like 20mph or less i cant hear it, get the the motorway and u can defo hear it, but its not too too loud
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rossd</i>

Which screw on the Bosch pump? If its the main fuelling adjustment, anti-clockwise is less fuel, so you shouldn't see smoke. I'd check and/or change the glowplugs. Is the coolant level staying constant (Eg not dropping or rising)?
its the screw on the right hand side
if i remember correctly the idle went up one way and there was loads of white smoke the other.
the coolant level was fine before, but i took a pipe off and have now realsied its not on properly and is leaking
beezer

Post by beezer »

I think the first thing to do is get the hose on properly and readjust the screw on the pump until you get no smoke (the way it was before you adjusted it). When you have sorted all that, see if the noise is there when the car is stationary and if so you can rule out wheel bearings or driveshafts etc. It could be a turbo problem but it is hard to say when things are out of adjustment.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

OK, firstly I would say, fix the coolant leak else you will end up with a blown head gasket or worse. Secondly put the screw back to where it was or as near as you can remember. Can you hear this fan type noise when car is idling or just revving, not actually moving? If you can then its not gearbox / driveshaft / bearing related etc. Also it makes diagnosis a lot easier. Just get your head in the engine bay and try to determine exactly where it is coming from. As for the white smoke. Overfueling a derv makes black smoke, white smoke when driving is water, usually gasket failures. Make sure your coolant is bled properly after the leak is fixed, take the rad cap off and then start the engine. Does the coolant level rise or bubble? If it does then I suspect you have blown your head gasket. Have you adjusted the turbo at all? Your noise might be the turbo as this can make a whole load of noises as it fails, if you have messed with the wastegate then the wastegate could of now failed. Also failing turbos can cause smoke issues.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

the noise is not when revving, its when driving only. can hear it if i get to 40mph and left go of gas it will still carry on
how do i bleed the coolant properly?
i havent messed with the turbo at all, all i have done is the pump adjustments.
never had loads of white smoke before
i will have to get it sorted, i cant afford to have the head gasket go
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

ok i fixed the coolant leak and readjusted the fuel screw back to normal
took off the rad cap, and the coolant didnt ise or bubble - thank god
power seesm back to normal as well
will test over next few days and keep a close eye on car
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Has this solved the smoke problem?? What about the noise? The noise sounds more like gearbox / driveshaft or bearings. Check the gearbox oil level and feel for any play in the driveshafts as well as split/leaky boots. Try jacking the car up and spinning the wheel as fast as you can, you may hear it and pin point the location of the noise.