Will a ...........

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CommY
My Cars:

Will a ...........

Post by CommY »

Will a BX gearbox fit into a Xantia OK? Anything I need to watch out for?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No BX gearbox will fit a Xantia TD directly, as it uses the pull type clutch which was not fitted to BX's. You might be able to change the bell housing over, but I don't know if thr driveshafts are the same size, and many fittings may well be wrong.
When / how does your 'box jump out of 5th? Have you checked all the linkages are secure / not seized, they are adjusted correctly, all the engine / gearbox mountings are in good order, the box has the right amount (and grade) of oil in it. Failing that, 5th gear is a bit of an add on to the box, being under the tin cover at the end. IIRC you can remove the cover and strip the 5th gear cluster off without taking the box out. I'll have a look in my BX manual which tells you about stripping the 'box if I remember. It is probably just a linkage problem, but could be something like a failed detent spring not holding the selector in place. If it just jumps out sporadically, I doubt there is anything wrong with the synchro - problems with this will only menifest themselves when you try and engage the gear (by graunching loudly!)
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

I pretty much did what you are advising to my BX's 5th gear. If its just jumping out of fifth then you can get away with just changing the synchromeshes by taking off the 5th gear cover on the end. The biggest hurdle will be finding the right socket for that perculiarly sized nut holding it all together.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Thanks chaps, this is good news (I have a Haynes BX manual myself).
The selcetor shafts are OK it sounds like the spring holding the selector fork to me.