306 D turbo engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petherwin

306 D turbo engine

Post by petherwin »

my car went in local garage for new rad,when I called to pick it up they told me the head gasket has gone! This was done (skimmed head) I was then told the cars not starting very well! (its only done 90000 and started on the button) next they changed the injector pump and its still the same.Now there telling me the rings have gone (low compression)I've not had the bill yet.I've been offered a non turbo 1900 engine,does anyone know if the turbo bits will fit on this engine or what the w***kers in the garage have done to my poorly car.sorry its dragged on a bit but my cars been off the road for 5 weeks now
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sounds like their taking the p**s abit.Especally(?) if all was well before.
Acording to the Hanyes book,"the turbo & non turbo engines are the same,but the pistons,crankshaft & connecting rods are uprated.The con rods also incorporate oil jets which spray oil to the undersides of the pistons to keep them cool."Theres only 20bhp between the engines,but the turbo has a lot more torque than the non turbo.I would try to get another td engine.Push the garage for more info to find out WHAT excatly is wrong.
beezer

Post by beezer »

If your car started fine even with a duff radiator then it is the garage who have caused the problem. Head gasket and head could well be affected by radiator but the injector pump!?! If there was poor compression when you took the car in then it would have had poor starting at that time. I think you should demand that the garage sort it out at their expense and if not then start litigation.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

definatley sounds likethe garage is taking the P. the rad could of caused a blown head gasket but if it wasnt blown before it went in then I reckon they have took the car for a spin without bleeding the system correctly. The fuel pump is not something that needs to be moved for either head or rad so theres no reason that would of just pcked in. As for low compression ratio. Why were they evemn testing the compression ratio? Few things could cause a low ratio but most likely given the history is the head is damaged elsewhere, incorrectly fitted, the injectors are not sealed correctly or the glowplugs are not tightened correctly. If I was you I would get the car back, speak to citizens advice / trading standards about the escalating costs and if the car isnt running properly then try the cheap diy fixes yourself. If none of these resolve the issues post back here with the symptons for proper advice before finding a reputable garage to carry out the works.
petherwin

Post by petherwin »

thanks for info,not had the bill yet. but been offered a Citroen 1.9 TD engine, is this the same lump as my 306?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Yes,its the same engine.It may have 1 or 2 differences,like fuel pump etc.Also where the intercooler goes,some on top of the engine,or like my later Xantia if front of the rad.But apart from that,there the same.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Isn't there a slight difference in the head on the 306 and say the Xantia? Something to do with a ball bearing type valve to stop oil flowing back to the sump?!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Not sure.A friend once put a Pug 405 td head on his Xantia with no probs.I spose the only way to know for sure is to ring Peugeot,or compare manuals.
petherwin

Post by petherwin »

thanks for the replies,looks like the citroen TD engine has head gasket problems aswell(unlucky or what!)its pressurising the cooling system.just been reading about using good quaility glow plugs can make a difference?