xm auto and running problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stephen burch
My Cars:

xm auto and running problems

Post by stephen burch »

Can anyone help with xm auto box? The car does not display gears 1 2 3 or drive. When going through the box from park it goes p r n n r p then nothing where 1st normally is. Is the inhibitor switch U/S or should I be looking elsewhere. Is the inhibitor switch by the selector linkages or by the auto box end cover? I have cleaned both connectors on these items with no joy. The car will click but will not turn over and it isn't the battery or starter motor playing up. I have tried adjusting the linkage but to no avail so this is now back as it was. The car is a 1994 2.1 td with a 4 hp 18 box.
When it did start I was in the middle of diagnosing a running fault.The car would start reluctantly by pumping the throttle and winding it over till it fired. It would then run for a while and cut out. I released the fuel cap thinking there may have been a vacuum in the tank but that was unsuccessful. I diagnosed fuel starvation and had the fuel tank out ,cleaned it out, blew the fuel lines through with compressed air and filtered the fuel before refilling.the fuel filter was clean but I changed it anyway, then bypassed the primer completely with a plastic in line filter. It was at this point that I encountered auto box problems so i've yet to find out if this has worked. Haynes has very little info on any of this so I would appreciate any help. Thanks.