Zx vibrating alot when started

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Zx vibrating alot when started

Post by Twiss »

Hi people. before i tell u lot about this niigle ive got with my car i would just like to say Thank u to all the help ulot have given me lately with my ZX.
back to the niggle, When i Start the car the whole engine shudders alot (ot smooth),this goes on for a bout 10 seconds then smooths off slowly until the engine warms up and then engine runs smooth no probs. when first started from cold white \ grey smoke comes from the exhaust then clears unless i put my foot down ( dont do this till she has got to 90 on the temp gauge) but after ten mins or so no smoke from engine even when i put my foot down!!. when i turn the engine off i shudders to a stop about 2 secs max.
is this normal ? hope i have explained this well ?
hers a list of the main parts that have been replace on the car in the last year!!
4 new NGK glow plugs
new heavy duty Battery
new Aux Drive belt
new sump gaskett
Brakes all round replaced
new radiator
serviced two weeks ago i have seviced regulary as i do a lot of miles
New oil 10W 40W Castrol GTD for turbo diesels
Cooper Oil filter \ i have also used citroen in the past i find cooper better.
new Air Filter
Diesel injector cleaner i use Forte' <-- bloody good stuff
all the fluid levels are where they should be.
THe car Spec :-
ZX Aura 1.9 TD
1993 k Reg
126,000 miles on the clock (was 106,000 when i bought her 15 months ago).
any ideas?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would have said glowplugs (possibly just one) but you have changed those. Timing would be next port of call.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

My sister had a real cheap and nasty clutch put on her 106 diesel and the monkeys who put it on probably didn't do a very good job of it. The result was an out of balance vibration coming from the engine at around idle especially when cold when the idle speed was not the same as when hot.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you have an air leak. This would account for the rough running slowly clearing as the air was bled from the system and the smoke - being a failed injection (not enough fuel to ignite) The only thing I'm not sure about is the rough stop as diesels normally stop immediately and cleanly as the fuel is cut off.
have a good look at hoses, leak off pipes especially if you have a bosch pump, the filter and its top and so on. As the fuel is drawn into the injection pump by a low pressure pump contained in it all the fuel pipes are unpressurised and so do not leak fuel to the outside but can allow fuel to be drawn in.
As a last resort replace the last pipe to the pump with plastic and look at the bubbles.
jeremy
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

ok i'll take alook over the weekend. i have recently gone over the engine and fitted new hoses and new pipes clamps <- wrong word but u get what i mean ? !!
the prob was there before i did this.
so u dont think it is a faulty injector ?
beezer

Post by beezer »

More likely injector pump than injector. Try taking out the stop solenoid unit and checking the condition Oh diesels are so much fun!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could be injectors but was looking for the cheap options first. If its one injector you may be able to eliminate it by slackening its feed pipe but be careful not to get the spray on your skin - it will penetrate the skin and could kill you.
Knackered injectors on my BX did produce smoke at startup, smella at other times, moderate starting and loss of power. Had them professionally cleaned (£100) and the difference was unbleieveable - so good the head gasket blew after 18 miles! and the head was found to be cracked.
jeremy