Xantia front height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

silverback

Xantia front height

Post by silverback »

Hi all.
Would someone please explain to me why my '99 Xantia Hdi front end seems a bit raised when I turn into a parking bay when I leave the wheels on a 'bit of lock' ie. turned to the right or left.
The suspension refuses to settle until I start the engine and turn the seering wheel.
Would it be the front height corrector?
I have recently had the LHM renewed as it was a yellowy colour. It's now greeeeeeeen!
Thanks.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I think this is quite normal behavior, when you apply full lock at low speed it does strange things to the suspension geometry, the height corrector tries to compensate and raises the front slightly. When you switch off, the anti-sink function prevents the car changing attitude until you start the engine again and eeh pump builds up enough pressure to release the anti sink valve.
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

This would be something to do with the anti-roll bar drop link geometry. The drop link geometry is designed to pre-load the anti-roll bar when you apply lock, so the anti roll is made more "stiff" when the steering is turned.
If your car gains / loses height at the front when you apply steering, it should lose it again once the lock is removed, and there should be enough pressure in the accumulator sphere to keep the anti-sink valves open.
If your car doesn't settle its suspension without the engine running, it may need a new accumulator sphere, the standard test seems to be to measure your pressure regulator tick interval, sub 15 second intervals need a new sphere.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Mine does exactly the same.Drops down when wheels are straightend,or upon start up.It was the same before i had a new accumalator sphere(which was ticking every 2 secs)I think its normal.
silverback

Post by silverback »

Thanks for the replies.
I'll check the accumulator sphere.