Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
Posts: 3297
Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
x 1068

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by Rp0thejester »

DHallworth wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 20:23 I had a deposit on one of them but the reliability issues that people were reporting led me to asking for it back.
Dang!!! You've had a few cars!!
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Jay-Bruce
Donor 2024
Posts: 544
Joined: 20 Mar 2019, 00:30
x 280

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by Jay-Bruce »

DHallworth wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 20:23 I had a deposit on one of them but the reliability issues that people were reporting led me to asking for it back.
On the Ami or the Carver?
User avatar
NewcastleFalcon
Posts: 26419
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 10:40
x 7164

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by NewcastleFalcon »

Jay-Bruce wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 21:49
DHallworth wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 20:23 I had a deposit on one of them but the reliability issues that people were reporting led me to asking for it back.
On the Ami or the Carver?
Earlier in the thread I provided links to the threads on the Ami, including this one which David Hallworth started following his interest in the Ami. FCF Member Skull also had an option on one reported on the thread. Customer service was reported as being terrible. The punchline of David and Skull's interest is summarised in this post from that thread here
My previous post on this thread
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 11:16
From the Archives:
The history of the Ami (quadricycle) on the FCF. Some good stuff in it usual nay sayers and just a few yay sayers like yours truly! Easy enough to find you tube examples of it being pushed beyond its design limits. Its a quadricycle. Most of the reviewing journalists love it.
"The Citroen Ami" David Hallworth's thread, from just prior to when it became available in the UK (9 pages last post March 2023 and still semi-active)
Link viewtopic.php?t=66845
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Jay-Bruce
Donor 2024
Posts: 544
Joined: 20 Mar 2019, 00:30
x 280

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by Jay-Bruce »

Thanks for the recap Niel, FWIW I once owned a Microcar Virgo, so I'm not totally quadricycle illiterate, but I am sticking to my guns, the Ami is objectively outclassed by other vehicles ostensibly in its class, such as the Microlino I mentioned earlier...
Jay-Bruce wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 12:54 https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino 230 km maximum range / 90 km/h max. speed 496 kg kerbweight, all electric?
User avatar
NewcastleFalcon
Posts: 26419
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 10:40
x 7164

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by NewcastleFalcon »

Jay-Bruce wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 23:44 Thanks for the recap Niel, FWIW I once owned a Microcar Virgo, so I'm not totally quadricycle illiterate, but I am sticking to my guns, the Ami is objectively outclassed by other vehicles ostensibly in its class, such as the Microlino I mentioned earlier...
Jay-Bruce wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 12:54 https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino 230 km maximum range / 90 km/h max. speed 496 kg kerbweight, all electric?
Thanks Jay. Your thread has generated some decent participation. I have followed the Microlino development for a number of years and it has been painfully slow. Originally aimed for "production" in 2018 and even now they have only produced 1000 units, and had a launch at the Paris Motor Show 2022. Plenty of interest, and yes a familiar and cute looking thing. I have given it more time in the sun on a thread I have called "Small Electric"
This was the ground floor for me when I first came across it.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:29 For a short time in the late 50's and early 60's the humble "bubble car" met a need and sold across the world in their hundreds of thousands. BMW produced 30,000 of them between 1959 and 1964 at their factory in Brighton. The Mini came along and the bubble car naturally expired.

Seeing as its Bubble Car Day (for me if no-one else :-D ) this proposal from a Swiss Firm from 2016 with 500 orders in the bag, and a production target of 2018 captured my interest. The real electric mini hasn't arrived yet in terms of a game changing electric vehicle which is affordable to the masses. (Post Script 2023..er..when the electric mini did arrive it had bloated somewhat in size and price and was anything but affordable to the masses...we still wait :-D )
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
(Donor 2023)
Posts: 14308
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 3306

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

It looks like Fiat may have copied the Ami with the Fiat Topolino.

https://www.fiat.com/fiat-topolino/topolino
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Jay-Bruce
Donor 2024
Posts: 544
Joined: 20 Mar 2019, 00:30
x 280

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by Jay-Bruce »

Wouldn't surprise me if they've reshelled the Ami platform, as both are stellantis members, so an element of "badge engineering" is to be expected. Isn't the current fiat sports car,(124?) Just a reskinned mx5?
User avatar
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
Posts: 3297
Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
x 1068

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by Rp0thejester »

Yes it is, exactly the same chassis which is quite common for car manufacturers
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
User avatar
DHallworth
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 2436
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 17:05
x 167

Re: Did Citroen just make the ugliest car ever? - discuss

Unread post by DHallworth »

Rp0thejester wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 20:26 Dang!!! You've had a few cars!!
Only my French ones are listed on this site… there’s quite a few that aren’t mentioned. :lol: It’s slightly ridiculous tbh!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel