C5 steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
Posts: 5308
Joined: 25 Apr 2022, 09:03
x 2341

Re: C5 steering rack

Unread post by MattBLancs »

Stu-Scotland wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 18:05 Finally got round to posting a for sale ad in the for sale section if anyone's interested before the scrappie gets it.
Good luck with the sale, hope you find a home for it rather than off for scrap. Looks good in red.

What a shame, let down by ultimately a £2 lip seal (and poor grade of steel) :(
Stu-Scotland
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 27
Joined: 22 May 2019, 22:39
x 3

Re: C5 steering rack

Unread post by Stu-Scotland »

Yes, it's definitely annoying but I need a reliable daily driver at the moment rather than a project.
Hopefully someone can make use of it.
I never thought I'd miss flat ground before I moved to this house.
wurlycorner
Donor 2024
Posts: 2177
Joined: 30 Oct 2012, 22:37
x 271

Re: C5 steering rack

Unread post by wurlycorner »

aerodynamica wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 21:33 Well I just returned from the steering specialist in Wakefield and they did a cracking job. Rack refurbed and resealed and in remarkable time. Was a joy to cruise the 4h home this evening. Too bad the engine light came on in the final hour.... 😕 I wonder how long I can resist moving the C5 on..
Just curious, which specialist was this? (Have read the whole thread but can't see them named!)

Google brings up a couple of possibles:
PSR Direct/Lion Automotive (which show that they do/stock C5 racks but seem to be a straight forward motor factor/don't fit them) https://www.lionautomotive.co.uk/
SSL Autoparts (who claim they do everything, but when you look at their catalogue they're exclusively VAG!) https://sslautoparts.com/
--
Iain

'85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (met. blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (met. silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (met. light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & met. green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
'11 C5 X7 3.0 V6 Exclusive Tourer
User avatar
bigblackfalco
Posts: 179
Joined: 21 Feb 2010, 13:56
x 11

Re: C5 steering rack

Unread post by bigblackfalco »

wurlycorner wrote: 06 Jan 2025, 14:06
aerodynamica wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 21:33 Well I just returned from the steering specialist in Wakefield and they did a cracking job. Rack refurbed and resealed and in remarkable time. Was a joy to cruise the 4h home this evening. Too bad the engine light came on in the final hour.... 😕 I wonder how long I can resist moving the C5 on..
Just curious, which specialist was this? (Have read the whole thread but can't see them named!)

Google brings up a couple of possibles:
PSR Direct/Lion Automotive (which show that they do/stock C5 racks but seem to be a straight forward motor factor/don't fit them) https://www.lionautomotive.co.uk/
SSL Autoparts (who claim they do everything, but when you look at their catalogue they're exclusively VAG!) https://sslautoparts.com/
I think they're both the same company! Got mine done there too. They are very familiar with the C5 X7 steering racks. Highly recommended drive in service.
58 plate (2009) C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+
aerodynamica
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 1690
Joined: 26 Dec 2007, 18:10
x 215

Re: C5 steering rack

Unread post by aerodynamica »

wurlycorner wrote: 06 Jan 2025, 14:06
aerodynamica wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 21:33 Well I just returned from the steering specialist in Wakefield and they did a cracking job. Rack refurbed and resealed and in remarkable time. Was a joy to cruise the 4h home this evening. Too bad the engine light came on in the final hour.... 😕 I wonder how long I can resist moving the C5 on..
Just curious, which specialist was this? (Have read the whole thread but can't see them named!)

Google brings up a couple of possibles:
PSR Direct/Lion Automotive (which show that they do/stock C5 racks but seem to be a straight forward motor factor/don't fit them) https://www.lionautomotive.co.uk/
SSL Autoparts (who claim they do everything, but when you look at their catalogue they're exclusively VAG!) https://sslautoparts.com/
Hiya, that SSL place is definitely the place that did my steering rack. Nearly 2 years ago now and apart from me filling the groove on the pinion valve housing with copper grease every 6 months, it has been completely fine. They gave an 18m warranty at the time.

They also replace the return pipe with a modified one from a berlingo to avoid sealing issues at the join of the pinion valve.

Only complaint I had (that I noticed a week or two later) was that this return pipe was routed incorrectly so that the flexible rubber part of it was fouling the nearside steering gaiter quite badly. I managed to alter this myself.

Otherwise they did a great job and the wheel alignment and straightness of the steering wheel were perfect. Made the journey back up to Glasgow pleasant and content.

I hope they're still offering the work for the rapidly thinning herd of X7s. They're pretty much the only recommended garage for it. The local specialist here made a total pig's ear of the job a year before.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi