Yayyyyy!jgra1 wrote:good news.. after probably some considerable cost to my Landlords.. it looks like my barn can remain where it is for ever
jgra1 blog
-
MikeT
- Posts: 4808
- Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
- x 232
-
KP
- Posts: 3980
- Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
- x 27
Yayy *2 
Next you'll have to work on them filling the potholes in... that could keep them busy a few months lol!!
On a serious note its good news. a bit of work maybe but worth it in the end as well for you and if you want to ease the road a bit use wood chippings
fill a trailer with them and they will sqush down in the holes but they will smooth it out more and just need topping up occasionally 
Found some muddy bits yesterday just off the A1 on the way home and the disco is a wee bit dirty now lol! there are some bits near yours John but i'll nose them out first and report back on how Xantia suitable they are for you if you want to see them
Next you'll have to work on them filling the potholes in... that could keep them busy a few months lol!!
On a serious note its good news. a bit of work maybe but worth it in the end as well for you and if you want to ease the road a bit use wood chippings
Found some muddy bits yesterday just off the A1 on the way home and the disco is a wee bit dirty now lol! there are some bits near yours John but i'll nose them out first and report back on how Xantia suitable they are for you if you want to see them
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
Will, I think I should get rid of my small 250 and get an offroader
re potholes,.. i never use the road in that direction, and those potholes do wonders for keeping people away! it is a rat run if the surface is good!
Amazingly, someone made it down in a DB9 the other day! i was astonished.
J
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
well.. today I drove to a nearby town (main stealer) to pick up a part for Adam, supposed to be in on Thursday.. sorry , problem somewhere else at Peugeot, no deliveries this week so try again next week
anyway, whilst there I grabbed 2L of gearbox oil (£20!) as the xantia's gearbox has become tight in all gears.. I got home and emptied the box, half hoping to find most of the oil I put in 30K ago missing.... but no, all 1.8L or so came out, a grey colour...
Added the new oil, lets hope it cures the box problem
30K doesnt seem very long for gearbox oil? I must admit I have not looked at any service schedule though...
I also was wondering about the harsh ride.. and after reading a post from Jim, tried the boot and front crossmember test.. boot caused car to sink and rise, nothing at all at the front though! car didn't really go down, therefore didn't come back up... it was at the point I noticed almost no gap between arches and tyres!
So, i guess resetting the ride height is the first thing to do, before I start buying spheres? ..
finally, had another look at clutch cable routing, and still cant understand why it's so heavy after the new cable was fitted ... shame though
John (rushing, to watch the nearest town to me, take on the big guys at football! )
anyway, whilst there I grabbed 2L of gearbox oil (£20!) as the xantia's gearbox has become tight in all gears.. I got home and emptied the box, half hoping to find most of the oil I put in 30K ago missing.... but no, all 1.8L or so came out, a grey colour...
Added the new oil, lets hope it cures the box problem
I also was wondering about the harsh ride.. and after reading a post from Jim, tried the boot and front crossmember test.. boot caused car to sink and rise, nothing at all at the front though! car didn't really go down, therefore didn't come back up... it was at the point I noticed almost no gap between arches and tyres!
So, i guess resetting the ride height is the first thing to do, before I start buying spheres? ..
finally, had another look at clutch cable routing, and still cant understand why it's so heavy after the new cable was fitted ... shame though
John (rushing, to watch the nearest town to me, take on the big guys at football! )
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55061
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8385
30K for gearbox oil is a bit short John
It's grey you say. Sounds like water contamination. Is the cap on the breather in place?
If the ride height at the front is that low then yes, you will have a few issues. It should be three fingers...
Does it rise and fall on the manual lever? If it does, when returned to the normal height does the front then drop right down or stay right up? Likewise, does the front rise at all from low?
There are indications that your front white dogbone may have popped off. If so the front will either stay high or low when the lever is in the normal position and it won't achieve normal ride height nor height correct.
Basically, don't go about making ride height adjustments until you know the dog bone is where it should be and all three front spheres are tip-top.
Keep us posted...
If the ride height at the front is that low then yes, you will have a few issues. It should be three fingers...
Does it rise and fall on the manual lever? If it does, when returned to the normal height does the front then drop right down or stay right up? Likewise, does the front rise at all from low?
There are indications that your front white dogbone may have popped off. If so the front will either stay high or low when the lever is in the normal position and it won't achieve normal ride height nor height correct.
Basically, don't go about making ride height adjustments until you know the dog bone is where it should be and all three front spheres are tip-top.
Keep us posted...
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
thanks Jim
well it rises and falls as it should.. although occasionally the front stays on low when you go from low to normal.. otherwise it works completely ok.. just when set to driving height the front is quite solid, has lost it's ride quality, and I just noticed yesterday really that there is no gap between either arches and the tyres. (it goes lower when low is selected)
( I mean all 4 tyres - will take a pic of it shortly)
I am guessing that it's always been like this since I got the car, and I have only just noticed
well it rises and falls as it should.. although occasionally the front stays on low when you go from low to normal.. otherwise it works completely ok.. just when set to driving height the front is quite solid, has lost it's ride quality, and I just noticed yesterday really that there is no gap between either arches and the tyres. (it goes lower when low is selected)
( I mean all 4 tyres - will take a pic of it shortly)
I am guessing that it's always been like this since I got the car, and I have only just noticed
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
http://xantiablog.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... -ride.html
in the cold light of day, the ride height looks quite ok now... must have been playing up las night with the front fairly stuck on the floor..
So, think 2 front corner and the front acc sphere should be changed to start with..
Also, the STOP light is coming on now just under normal starting conditions.. it goes off after 10-30 seconds ish..
Gearbox oil also shown, new August 2008 and 30K miles ago.
in the cold light of day, the ride height looks quite ok now... must have been playing up las night with the front fairly stuck on the floor..
So, think 2 front corner and the front acc sphere should be changed to start with..
Also, the STOP light is coming on now just under normal starting conditions.. it goes off after 10-30 seconds ish..
Gearbox oil also shown, new August 2008 and 30K miles ago.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55061
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8385
Ride height looks reasonable John
The front centre Hydractive sphere may have popped; they're three-layer and normally they are either good or ruptured, no middle-ground...
Test like this:

The front centre Hydractive sphere may have popped; they're three-layer and normally they are either good or ruptured, no middle-ground...
Test like this:
Corner spheres and accumulator would be a very good candidate for replacement, the latter most likely causing the stop light to come on... What's your tick rate like John? I know it's a bit tricky to hear on a diesel. Try a stethoscope on the pump or pressure regulator body to hear itDo the classic bounce test. Start up, allow full pressure to be developed, switch off, shut all doors and then bounce the front. After 30s when the hydractive system switches to hard, you should feel the front go very hard. Open a door to initiate soft mode again and you should feel the front go soft if the hydractive sphere is good.
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
addo
- Sara Watson's Stalker
- Posts: 7098
- Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
- x 95
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
thanks Addo may try that photo later..
Jim it's a basic LX with no extra spheres
6 all told..
anyway, it's just gone on a journey to the south coast, I will change the ACC asap as the STOP light is a slight worry (I am assuming it's a hydraulic problem, the temp guage red light also comes on at the same time)
Clicks, well yesterday on high, she was every 8 seconds.. although I think the clicks are more spaced when suspension on normal.. will have a listen when the car is home..
Jim it's a basic LX with no extra spheres
anyway, it's just gone on a journey to the south coast, I will change the ACC asap as the STOP light is a slight worry (I am assuming it's a hydraulic problem, the temp guage red light also comes on at the same time)
Clicks, well yesterday on high, she was every 8 seconds.. although I think the clicks are more spaced when suspension on normal.. will have a listen when the car is home..
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55061
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8385
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
no worries Jim
12 seconds.....
just did that at work.. people have never actually heard someone say they 'are going to test the heartbeat of their engine with a stethoscope'What's your tick rate like John? I know it's a bit tricky to hear on a diesel. Try a stethoscope on the pump or pressure regulator body to hear it
12 seconds.....
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55061
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8385
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
-
jgra1
- (Donor 2021)
- Posts: 4625
- Joined: 27 Nov 2005, 19:07
- x 37
shock..
about 3 weeks after fitting a new clutch cable and the pedal has gone to the floor this morning, luckily quite near home
As a summary, I changed the old S2 cable to a new cable, but an S1 type, and as soon as I did this, the clutch was about 100% heavier
I paid the price for that this morning..
if anyone is doing anything on their S1 or S2 xants this weekend, I would really appreciate a pic or descrip of the cable routing, as that is all I can think of that is wrong.. yet I am sure the way I have routed mine is ok..
i will take a snap of mine too.. so to speak
)
about 3 weeks after fitting a new clutch cable and the pedal has gone to the floor this morning, luckily quite near home
As a summary, I changed the old S2 cable to a new cable, but an S1 type, and as soon as I did this, the clutch was about 100% heavier
if anyone is doing anything on their S1 or S2 xants this weekend, I would really appreciate a pic or descrip of the cable routing, as that is all I can think of that is wrong.. yet I am sure the way I have routed mine is ok..
i will take a snap of mine too.. so to speak