What are these?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55083
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8386

Re: What are these?

Unread post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 09:04 I was to mean to buy a proper degaussing coil so I used one from a scrap TV, put a lead and plug on it and pulled the plug out before the coil caught fire. :-D

Peter


I have a belief that's what ours was Peter... I remember it was all wrapped in PVC tape!!!
Peter.N. wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 13:15 I think its the number of shocks I've had that has kept me alive. :wink:

Peter
Ditto :lol:

And we both survived despite no H and S rules!!!
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
Posts: 5313
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
x 1600

Re: What are these?

Unread post by Zelandeth »

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was such a coil as this which caused a "minor mishap" during my younger years which ended with a popped 100A incoming mains fuse...

What I do remember was that the 13A fuse in the plug survived!
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
elma
Posts: 3745
Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
x 284

Re: What are these?

Unread post by elma »

Zelandeth wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 22:17 I have a sneaking suspicion that it was such a coil as this which caused a "minor mishap" during my younger years which ended with a popped 100A incoming mains fuse...

What I do remember was that the 13A fuse in the plug survived!


I see things like that now and again and used to scratch my head.
However there are different types of fuses.
Some burn out at 2x rating, some at 1.5 etc.
Then there's the speed they burn out at which is also a variable.

13amp vs 100amp though and the 13 didn't blow? Interesting...

Speaking of blown 100amp fuses I dare you all to turn on everything in your house.
It should pop the fuse, always wanted to see it happen but never dared even though I have a massive box full of spare fuses.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
Posts: 11778
Joined: 02 Apr 2005, 16:11
x 1240

Re: What are these?

Unread post by Peter.N. »

Can't afford to. :)

Peter
elma
Posts: 3745
Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
x 284

Re: What are these?

Unread post by elma »

Peter.N. wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 23:56 Can't afford to. :)

Peter

It'll save a few pennies on the electric bill.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55083
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8386

Re: What are these?

Unread post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 23:22 Speaking of blown 100amp fuses I dare you all to turn on everything in your house.
It should pop the fuse, always wanted to see it happen but never dared even though I have a massive box full of spare fuses.


It would pop in a very undramatic way James... That's how they're designed to be... If it went in spectacular way it could cause more collateral damage..

I've seen a 640A (yes, 640A!) fuse pop in a large motor-alternator UPS - There was a spectacular bang but not from the fuse; that just went with a gentle whimper :lol:
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...