Whoops! Sorry guys, yep still catching up - with life I think
This slow retraction seems a lot more common than I would have thought.
When I was faced with coming up with a solution, I took everything apart. I stripped the seatbelt top swivel off, took off the c-pillar trim – the whole lot, both sides.
On one side I undid the belt spool and opened it up. TWANG! It has a strong windy spring and is a real problem to get back together. It didn’t make any difference to the retraction by dismantling and greasing the spool so I suggest no one does this.
What I did find was that the retraction worked ok with just the belt and the spool. So then came the testing. I replaced the c-pillar trim and tried the retraction with the top swivel in different places.
The solution I came up with is to adjust the top swivel and the c-pillar trim hole. The top swivel is spaced away from the c-pillar by a thick washer and the trim hole was cut bigger at the bottom and at the front (toward the front of the car). I’ll try and get some photos tonight.
Dave