Rear seat belt retraction.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Rear seat belt retraction.

Post by handyman »

Can anybody remember the linky on here for modifying the rear seat belts so they spool a little faster?

I have been through the archive using the search facility and seem to remember reading about a mod that could be done to help the rear seat belt retract. It was in the last few months but I am bu**ered if I can find it! :oops: I am sure my marbles are still here. :shock:

MOT time is looming for the estate and I have a couple of little jobs to do.

Handyman
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If its on an estate "they all do that Guv" and are slow to retract by poor design :(
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Im sure someone said spray furniture polish or something similar on the full length of the belt as it retracts
But i could be well wide of the mark................ :) :)

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:If its on an estate "they all do that Guv" and are slow to retract by poor design :(
Quite :( My kids (and all their mates) are now fully conditioned to carefully retract the seatbelts as they alight.

After years of "Seatbelts Girls!" being shouted at them, they have got the message!

I don't think it'll make it fail the MOT Handyman, as long as the belts properly latch-up when tugged, no worries.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

my hatchback is the same, the front arent that clever either.

Mine passed the MOT less than a month ago with the belts like that :wink:
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Chaps, thanks for all the prompt replies.

Spraying the belts with any sort of silicone based lubricant is a no-no as the silicates can rot the webbing or stitching.

I thought there was a link, only recently, to another forum, aussiefrogs, etc, to effect a modification to the mechanism as it would then allow the belts to spool at a slightly faster speed. Or am I dreaming? :roll:

Handyman
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Interesting that the silicone lubricant degrades the webbing, hadn't heard that previously.

It is a common fault on C5s, mine included and I give mine a squirt of Asda cabin cleaner ever few months.

Fully extend it, a light spray along the full retracing length (not the permanently exposed bits) and it lasts for ages.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Ahh so i could be right i could be wrong :) :)

Nothing like a 50-50 choice is there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You are probably right, it was the first I had heard about silicone degrading the fabric. I'm mildly concerned about the possible outcome of that.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm pretty certain silicone is inert, unless it contains petrolium distiliates (like many dash bright sprays can).
I use it all the time on rubber and plastics - hmm, that somehow sounds worse than it is...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

A quick look in my technical data records for silicone based lubricants shows that there is a myriad of different types for different applications.

The most suitable item I could find was a spray made by Ambersil (CFC Chemicals) and designed for the food industry, which stated the silicone content was inert when in contact with most materials and was also able to have sustained contact with skin with no deleterious effects. It could be sprayed onto fabrics, woven items, etc. and was acceptable for use on all plastics. It contains no harmful propellants but fumes were still hazardous.

Many other silicone sprays are harmful and will react with oxidising agents, some also causing decomposition when in contact with carbon or carbon oxides.

In addition, many can cause skin irritation and dermatitis with prolonged skin contact, by defatting the skin.

The only other downside is that ALL these products are extremely harmful to aquatic life.

I may try the silicone lubricant as a temporary measure but will look at the design of the system to see if there is a more agreeable fix.

Would still like to find that linky though.

Handyman
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

A bit of a late reply, I'm afraid - just catching up after Christmas...

I was faced with a MoT fail as my estate rear seatbelts were retracting too slowly a few years back. I tried dismantling and lubricating the belt spindles; a terrible job (don't do it) and it made no difference. In the end I trimmed and reshaped the slot in the c-pillar trim they disappear into. This made a lot of difference and got my MoT pass. Even now they still retract swiftly.

Dave
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Hi Dave, I have attached this picture in another thread earlier. Rear seat belt stopped retraction and the reason is seen below. After fixing it is functioning now but it is slow.

Is this seat belt slot same as in yours. What kind of modifications did you make there?
I guess many Xantia Estate owner's kids are "well trained" about dealing with the rear seat belts :)

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

VertVega wrote: I guess many Xantia Estate owner's kids are "well trained" about dealing with the rear seat belts :)
Mine are :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I have been trying to figure out a modification for the seat belt but unfortunately I didn't come up with a solution yet. Here is a close up from the same original picture. The smooth curved surface of that metal makes me think that the belt should go through that gap there. Am I right OR (right) ... ?
Any ideas?

PS: Dave are you still catching up after New Year ? :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual