So decided today (after spending several hours doing battle with the garden) to swap out the rocker cover gasket on the Lada given the copious amounts of oil that it tends to dump all over the engine. Won't be till later in the week that the alternator brushes arrive, so may as well get what I can done while the engine bay is in pieces.
You know what folks say about being prepared for routine maintenance and all that, so no great surprise that I had this in stock already...
Simple enough job. Air cleaner off, then remove the 8 nuts that hold the cover in place, remove it, clean up and reassemble...right?
Pretty much actually - though there are a couple of hoses you need to shift out the way to get enough clearance. Firstly the return line to the fuel tank - which came free before I'd touched the hose clip...cue a brief "...?" moment. Turns out that the barb the hose is meant to attach to actually pulled clean out of the carb...Not entirely helpful.
So that's something I'll need to address shortly as well.
It's fiddly to get the cover off thanks to how close to the bulkhead it is, but didn't take too long to do. Reckon it would be a lot easier on an earlier car because there would be far, far less in the way of hoses to get in the way.
Still, got it off after a bit of a wrestling match. The sheer amount of sealant that had been used before meant that a bit of brute force was also needed.
Looking at the state of the old gasket, not really surprised it was leaking.
This was further assisted by the fact that the previous "mechanic" seemed to have thought that the best solution to a leaky rocker cover was to tighten it to downright ridiculous levels. So much so in fact that the base of the rocker cover isn't anywhere close to flat any more. I've dropped Tom an email about this to see whether one to suit a 1.7i Niva is available, as that would be handy for my EFi project as it has a bracket attached for the fuel lines - but either way a new cover is £30, so I'll probably just grab a new one anyhow rather than faffing around trying to find a decent secondhand one that hasn't suffered the same fate as mine.
So here we go, a Lada engine with its timing gear on show.
It's quite an interesting setup I think. Overhead cam obviously, but the valves are actually actuated by rockers just like on an OHV setup.
If nothing else, it makes for some interesting close ups...
The rockers sit on top of the posts nearest the camera, with the valves centrally along the length, with the camshaft actually operating on the far end. Adjusting the height of this post is how the valve clearances are set - though you really need a special wide feeler gauge to do it properly.
One thing which did cause a little concern was looking at this one timing chain guide, I don't know for certain, but I reckon that it should be straight relative to the chain not at an angle like this. I'll ask the experts over on the Lada forums about that methinks. Not going to worry about it though as the guide is still *there* rather than having ended up in the sump (it happens regularly), in which case when owners have ignored the awful racket and the chain has then been known to chew its way through the head rather than fail!
Given the issue with that carb connection and the degree of dismantling I've already done, I'm seriously pondering just cracking on with Mission:EFi at this point. Really would like the car available next weekend...
I *think* I actually have all the bits I need now, save for a sundry assortment of fuel injection rated hose (30-ish PSI rather than insane like some modern systems) which Motorserv should have on the shelf.