One for the Motor sport buffs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

One for the Motor sport buffs

Post by alan s »

Just been told that one of Australias first ever dedicated Motor racing circuits which was looking down the barrel at "redevlopment" a 'la housing blocks, has been Heritage listed.
Some of the World's best known drivers competed here & lauded the quality of the overall layout of the track plus it's picturesque setting. I had a couple of runs on it many years ago & it was "interesting" to say the least if you weren't driving a factory vehicle or were a bit low on experience and some of the best moments in motor racing have occurred on this track.
Although it's on the other side of the World, it is possible some of you may have heard of it & the group responsible for getting the listing have a website operating that has a "photo gallery" that not only gives an insight into its history, but also a look at the track & its setting. The site is updated from time to time & could eventually end up being a "must see" for anyone coming over here when it's completed.
http://www.savelakeside.org/
P.S. From memory, I'm fairly sure a couple of guys called Brabham as well as Moss may have turned a wheel or two as did Barry Sheene & Kel Carruthers on bikes.
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

Nice site.
Worth a visit to to look at the piccs of Jags, Mk1 Cortina and Mini's giving it some.
Hopefully the circuit will be saved though.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Back in the days when men were men.....this is how F-1 cars went round corners.
Knew this guy but he no longer races; and yes...he's still alive (believe it or not.)
Alan S