405 1.9 Turbo Diesel Starting Problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

franco_cov

405 1.9 Turbo Diesel Starting Problems

Post by franco_cov »

[:(] Please help [:(]
Right here is the history of what has happened:
Month a go had problems starting took quite a few times to start and when it did little black smoke would appear and then go, but once started would run fine, idle was spot on to [:D]. Thought it was just the weather etc so ignored it as i was told diesels are funny with the weather [8D]. Then one morning my glow plug light never came on and the engine would not work..[:0] after looking at the pre heater i thought as it was a easy job to replace got a second hand one as i was told as long as the conectors were the same would be ok, so replaced it and bingo, light came on and engine started once more...[:)] The starting was still a pain at times and when it started grey / black smoke would appear and then after a few seconds would clear (is this normal ?)[?] anyway a few weeks after this i pulled out of my car park at work and loads of black crap came out of my exhaust [:(](basically put my foot down when the engine was cold)I assumed this was diesel coming out or smoke ?? dont know for sure [8)]anyway after this still had problems starting in the morning as i work shifts so i was meaning to get it serviced as i thought this would help. Anyway one morning it would not start the car was turning over and pufs of smoke was coming out, someone said your glow plugs have gone, [:(] so after someone checked them for me i found that 3 out of 4 plugs were knackered not working, so fitted a new set and engine seemed to start better [:)] although the smoke was still there briefly at starting after car was standing for a couple of hours.. then i heard a sort of blowing noise which sounded like it came from behind the glove box, it was not the turbo but would mainly hear it when i reached about 2000 rpm. Guy down the road said it was a gasket on the manifold slightly blowing under load and would be a simple job of going to an exhaust place and get the gasket replaced,[?][?] so thought nothing major will sort out once i get the chance.. A week later I had a service done which replaced the filters, oil change etc.. and got him to put some of that cleaner stuff in the fuel to clean injectors as i thought this would help the starting and the smoke problem. Smoke was still there not as bad but then depending on the wind at the time can be hard to tell anyway seemed to be ok. Well then i had an accident and dislocated my knee cap [:(] and was in plaster and my car was sitting out the front the missus drove it ok no problems then 2 weeks later after it sitting there and not been turned over went to start it and it turns but will not start,[xx(] no smoke or anything out of exhaust nothing, glow plug light comes on. even tried turning on the ignition for the glow plug light to go off several times to charge the glow plugs before trying to start but still nothing.[xx(] Cant be the battery as i put a new one only a few months ago.
Any suggestions ??
[?] Is the blowing of the gasket a problem ( not a major blow) ??
[?] Glow plug problem ??? (replaced a month ago) ??
[?] Pre heater problem (even though i replced it couple of months ago) ??
Please help i really like this car nice ride, but hate it when things go wrong..... [:(][:(][:(]
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP [:(][:(]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

1) Air in fuel system - try priming using the bulb, soft = air.
2) Pre-Heater relay timing not working. Pre-heaters should be on for a short while AFTER the engine has started, to give it a hand.
Check these out.
Mat.
franco_cov

Post by franco_cov »

Matt,
Thanks mate i used the primer bulb nd it was really soft? so kept priming it for about a minute or so and it began to harden so tried starter still would not start , so tried the primer gin it went soft so again for a minute or so until hard then tried again it struggled a little put my foot on accelerator and off she went, left it running for about 10 minutes then turned it off and tried agin no glow plug light came on (still hot i guess) and started first time i am yet to try after a dew hours when its cold. Why has it done this when i leave it for considerable amount of time?? is that blowing on the gasket related ?? as i was told by a friend that the manifold gasket was blowing, is it?? what else could it be... I never heard this noise before it started after i had the glow plugs changed as i found out the 3 out of 4 was not working????
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The manifold gasket may well be blowing or leaking, but this wouldn't really stop the engine from starting - sure, it will reduce the performance, but it won't prevent starting.
The fact that you are constantly having to prime the fuel would indicate that you have an air leak in the system.
Trace all the pipework from the bulb into the fuel filter, and from the fuel filter top into the fuel pump. Ensure that all the pipes are on tight, and have jubilee clips on them to keep them tightly in place ( this includes both sides of the primber bulb, which you should also check for cracks ).
Next, look at the injectors, there are little rubber hoses coming off the injectors and leading back to the pump. Check these are on snugly, and that the blanking cap is on the end injector ( because there isn't another to connect to ).
Next, look on the fuel pump, near to where those little pipes lead to, you'll find another hose which goes back behind the engine - this is the excess fuel return. Check this connection, and ensure a tight jubilee clip.
Next, check the fuel filter housing itself, this is the funny round black thing that the fuel pipe from the primer goes into. The top should be tight. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter ? May be worth doing by undoing the top, taking out the filter, and replacing it with a new one. Make sure the top goes on tight, and prime the system again.
Have you checked for water in the fuel ? At the bottom of the filter housing should be a loose pipe, which you should put into a jar, and unscrew the valve slightly that the pipe connects to. This will let out any water from the bottom of the fuel filter housing. When it starts smelling of diesel, stop !
The reason why your priming bulb goes soft is that it's filling with AIR, which is bad for the fuel system, and indicates a leak somewhere. Once the leak is found and sorted, the bulb should remain fairly to very hard all the time.
Try all these, and get back to us all.
Mat.