306 D turbo service

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scott8629

306 D turbo service

Post by scott8629 »

Im going to do a servie on my Phase2 D-Turbo 306. So far the list of things im going to replace/change are
1 Oil and filter (what brand oil?)
2 Airfilter
3 Fuel Filter
And that is it, im sure there should be more to change but I cant think what??
Glow plugs are in good order.
Is there a pollen filter?
GFS car parts good for parts?
I will be getting the cam belt changed but I will get a garage to do this, any ideas of approx cost?
Sorry for all the questions guys but I have never serviced a diesel before, any input would be great.
Scott
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You've got it fairly well covered. Any good semi-synth oil will be OK. GSF do a suitable oil and filters will cost you less there than any other shop. If you don't know that the coolant has been changed in the last two years, I would do that as well. A cambelt will cost you about £12 and three hours work, maybe a bit longer for a first time. £100 or so for a garage to do it. But if you can use a few spanners, it's fairly straightforward following the Haynes book.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Brake fluid (beware of snapped nipples).
Have a search through the Citroen forum for a sensible maintenance schedule.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

None of the 306s were fitted with a pollen filter, at least not in the UK to my knowledge.
Don't forget to take twenty minutes once you've changed everything to cast your eye over the car. Check the condition of the CV joints, exhaust, brake pads and discs, fluid levels (coolant, PAS, brake, screenwash). Standard stuff really.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

I always use proper Peugeot oil filters as they and only they (as far as I know, please correct me if I am wrong) have a non-return valve that maintains oil pressure on start up.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Other decent makes of filter have the non-return valve too. From memory I've used Purolator, Fram, Mann and a couple of others. These all had the one-way valve in them. I have also heard that some of the very cheap ones (unbranded) are missing the non-return valve, but I have yet to see one.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by macaroni</i>

I always use proper Peugeot oil filters
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And they will usually be Purflex - even if, like Citroen, they are in a Pug/Cit box.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yes, although I hear its not just the non-return valve, Purflux also filters out much smaller particles than most other brands, so thats got to be good! I only ever use a Purflux filter on my engines.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Even the rubbish filters are going to be dearer than the genuine ones from GSF anyway, so why bother fitting junk to your engine???