MOT Fail on smoke

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

MOT Fail on smoke

Post by rossd »

The 306 has just failed the MOT on its smoke emissions, an average of 3.31 when the limit is 3. Im going to change the oil and filter along with the air filter and take it back tomorrow, but the tester said that instead of decreasing, the emissions were increasing as the test progressed, 3.25, 3.31, 3.38. I'm hopefull a new air filter will cure this, but are there any other factors I should take into account? I put some Millers diesel clean stuff in the tank recently and its taken to the red line enough to keep it cleanish... Car has 90K and is serviced every 6K by me.
Cheers
Ross
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Put your new air filter in and also 2x or 3x the recommended amount of Dieselclean or Redex Diesel. Try to delay the retest for a day or so to give the treatment time to do its stuff. Take the car for a good thrashing down a motorway prior to the test. Make sure the temperature is up when its tested, but they should do that.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I bodged it - I couldnt get hold of an airfilter in time for the retest, so I turned down the max fuelling on the pump, new readings are 1.49, 1.53, 1.70. I will install the new filters tomorrow when they arrive, but I still think there is an underlying problem as the tester said it again on the retest, the readings where creeping up as the test progressed instead of dropping which they normally do. It also accelerates like the proverbial slug now...