Has anyone else noticed that....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Has anyone else noticed that....

Post by martyhopkirk »

....The temp guage in the Xantia isnt linear. It goes blank, 60, blank,90, blank, 110.
So the blank line between 60 and 90 degrees - what is it? 70, 80? who knows.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

What's the point of the numbers anyway? I mean, how accurate is it going to be? There was nothing wrong with the old red=too hot, blue=too cold and roughly halfway=normal. I think Citroën were just trying to be sophisticated. It would have looked better if the needle sat horizontally at normal too, in my opinion.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Citroen have never really got temperature gauges together, look at the BX Knowing how hot the thing was getting sort of spoils the driving experience. On my ZX the backlighting illuminates the face of the gauge but the needle is invisible?
Stewart
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

and that the rev counter and speedometer rise in unison in fifth gear!
The only other car I know to do that is Jaguar.
And it is the same on my XM too. Nice touch. R.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Should be like Ford have. Anywhere between hot and cold (red, blue) is normal. No grading.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Im still convinved that the fuel guage on the BX is logarithmic! I might be insane but maybe there is something akin to a whetstone bridge in there and the guages are because of that!
BUT that said, in the BX, in 5th gear, with everything running just right all the dials point straight up, something i find VERY comforting. I wonder if thats instead of the 'everythings okay' light. Though i've never seen a working 'oil level' guage, mine certainly doesnt.
Lorkan
My Cars:

Post by Lorkan »

The light on my ZX's temp gauge is out at the moment and i cant be arsed taking the dash appart for an unimportant dial
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Citroen temperature gauge?
Unimportant?
Like changing head gaskets do we?
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

I too have wondered what does it mean as mine sits at just above the un-labelled marker between 60 and 90. My guess is it sesm about 75C.
Very funny reply about temp gauges spoiling teh driving experience (me ex BX owner too!)
PaulB
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Tested the gauge on mine with the probe. Quite accurate, showing 1-2 degree less than probe (at 60 and 90). Middle mark in between is 75 (76-77 on mine)
On BX, fuel scale is approximately linear, but marks aren't (from my remembering, it's 4/4, 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4). Well, except on the top.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

The temp gauge on my previous (1994) 306 was the same; the gap between 70 and 80 was about twice the gap between 80 and 100. I don't think that there was even a 90 mark, come to think of it. The newer one has a more linear scale though.
Talking about Fords, a friend of mine has a Ka (clutch just died at 50k, incidentally [xx(]) and that doesn't even have a temperature gauge at all. Instead there's a light that comes on when it's overheating. It's the most minimal instrument panel I've ever seen, more so even than my sister's Mini!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by batwad</i>

Talking about Fords, a friend of mine has a Ka (clutch just died at 50k, incidentally [xx(]) and that doesn't even have a temperature gauge at all. Instead there's a light that comes on when it's overheating. It's the most minimal instrument panel I've ever seen, more so even than my sister's Mini!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You obviously havent seen the poverty spec AX then[:D]
beezer

Post by beezer »

Or a Pug 205!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Vanny, It is a Wheatstone bridge. The non linearity of the BX gauge is due to the addition of the supplementary tank. When this was added, the sender calibration was not changed.As for temperature gauges, the only time you need them is when they are telling you things you'd rather not know. I'd still rather have one, though!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

For a good fuel gauge you could always get a Zx - 12 gallon tank and it reads empty with about 5 left! At least my BX TD is reliable at the bottom even if it will sometimes run for 150 miles or so without moving off full!
jeremy