Megane TD Heater problem

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulee
My Cars:

Megane TD Heater problem

Post by Paulee »

Hi
posting this for a mate , he has a Megane TD 1998 and the heater has stopped working.The air-con works fine but no heat is coming from the heater.
He has no garage and cannot take the car off the road as he needs it every day.
On taking it to our local Renault dealer they quoted £600 - £700 to repair as they reckon they have to take all the dash out to investigate and suspect the matrix !
We have tried flushing it out to no avail and the system has no leaks and the car runs at normal operating temperature.....any ideas.....
thanks Paul..
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Is the heater motor still blowing? Can you change the heating settings using the dash knob? Are the vents opening and closing?
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Hi Stuart
The fan works fine, the vents are working ok,
When turning the heater control from cold to hot , the temperature rises from cold to barely above cold !
I have been told by a Renault mechanic that the heater matrix is unlike a "radiator" type matrix but is a solid alloy block with small holes drilled through it that are prone to getting blocked and the only solution is a new one which requires removal of the dash , hence £600.00 !.....any help appreciated ....
The car has been correctly serviced and the coolant is clean !
thanks....Paul
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Nothing come off the back of the heater control knob?. I only ask as the electroncis for the valve may be duff or the actual control rods if the older type system have come away. Not to sure how to check but it's probably better to have a look in the yellow pages for an independant French car or Reno gargae. It may still cost some cash but it's going to be better that the £600 quoted at reno. If you or your mate wants to have a look try this,
1) remove cigarette lighter
2) unclip the heater control unit from the dash.
It should be that straight forward to check the cables and wiring.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Thanks Stuart will look into it at the weekend and let you know how we go on
Paul
RobW

Post by RobW »

I had a similar problem with a Pug 406. It turned out to be a faulty interior cabin sensor which was constantly reading 66Degs. Find out where it is (mine was in the front courtesy light housing) and unplug it, if it is faulty, the heater will work by taking a mean average of the coolant temp sensor and the external temp sensor.