Re. 406 difficulty starting...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Straightsix

Re. 406 difficulty starting...

Post by Straightsix »

Hi Guys,been dropping in for a while now and been impressed with the info on offer. May I pose a question?....Having just fitted new glow plugs I had to unscrew and move two injection pipes, was well disapointed when she would'nt start next day. (On a push down a hill, no problem)
After reading on the forum that I have to prime the engine I set about the task but for the life of me cannot find the 'bleed' screw on the fuel pump and dont want to mess around with something so sensitive. I'd be grateful if someone could describe for me where it is. (Got the Haynes but the photo is confusing.) Cheers...
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Difficult to offer help without any engine particulars.
Dave
Straightsix

Post by Straightsix »

Hello Dave.Sorry 'bout that, was so busy describing the problem I forgot to say.Its a 96 406 GLX TD 1.9...Thanks.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I'm not entirely convinced a bleed screw actually exists on the Bosch pump, I've certainly never found it anyway. I've messed with various pipes etc on my TD Xantia and all I've ever needed to do to prime the fuel system is squeeze the black priming bulb until it goes slightly hard.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You wont normaly see a bleed nipple on a Bosch pump, but in case one has been included for some reason in will be in the top of the banjo union, this connects the incoming fuel pipe at the front of the pump.
Simply pump the primer bulb until resistance is obtained.
If its a lucas pump then there very likely will be a bleed nipple, again it will be in the top of the incoming pipe conection banjo but at the rear of the pump.
This pump requires the ignition to be on and code keyed in before hand priming.
Does it now start on the key from cold, and does it ever fail to start when warm.
Does it missfire for a few seconds when you push start it.
Do you have to pump the hand primer before it will start in any event.
Which pump is fitted.
Dave
Straightsix

Post by Straightsix »

Thanks guys, in the book it says 'bleed screw' and having looked at it I think its the banjo union which connects the incoming fuel pipe, makes sense when I think about it now. Just got in from work (started on a push and in every other respesct driving normally) so its dark now but will try to bleed it in morning and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the posts....
Straightsix

Post by Straightsix »

Bled all excess air out and she started this morning first pop. Success!! Thanks for the tips guys and for taking an interset. Cheers...Michael.