Water Pump Woes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petrolhd
My Cars:

Water Pump Woes

Post by petrolhd »

Dear All,
I tried to replace the water pump on my 306 along with the timing belt but ran into problems removing the water pump, the pump refuse to budge and was seized in the engine block despite having removed the two mounting screws.
I have tried knocking the flange of the water pump hoping to free up the pump but to no avail. I also tried to pull the pump out by gripping the pully but still no joy.
Please help.
Thanks,
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

are you sure that there is only two bolts holding it on. There might be some hiding somewhere. What engine is it and might be able to help you.
petrolhd
My Cars:

Post by petrolhd »

Thanks for the speedy response. It is a 1994 306 XR with a petrol TU5JP engine.
My haynes manual says there are only two screws.
Thanks
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

if it wont budge the other thing is brut force i.e bashing it with a softheaded hammer. And maybe you should try spraying around it with wd40 or something similar but make sure you clean it away afterwards before fitting the new belt because you dont want this stuff getting on your new cambelt because it will cause it to go weak and snap over time
petrolhd
My Cars:

Post by petrolhd »

Thanks again Citman, I think that is exactely what I will do !
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

Please make sure all the bolts are out, these water pumps get rusted so they can be hard to remove, I haven't done a Peugeot pump before but I have done dozens of astra ones and they were very tight.
petrolhd
My Cars:

Post by petrolhd »

Hi all,
Thanks for all the help. I finally managed to remove the pump with serveral whacks of the hammer.
The iron engine block was seized tight to the aluminium water pump housing due to galvanic corrosion.
I am a happy man now [:)]