406 Diagnostics warning light

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CANDO

406 Diagnostics warning light

Post by CANDO »

I have just brought a 406 2.1 td.
The Engine auto-diagnostics light has come on 3 times today over a distance of some 180 miles.
At initial switching on of the ignition this lamp lights flashes off very briefly twice then stays on until the engine starts. Are these 2 brief of flashes normal?
The light then came on and stayed on about 10 minutes after a 50 mile motorway run (Where it ran flawlessly) when I had stopped to ask directions and was just pulling away. The warning was accompanied by an idle speed of 1100-1200 rpm and the throttle not seeming to having any effect.
Stopping and restarting the engine, which caused it to reset , cleared the fault.
The second time exactly the sane fault conditions occurred 1 minute after driving off after a 40-minute stop and at a speed of about 25 mph.
On the third occasion the fault occurred on a hill at 55 mph. Again stopping and restarting reset the light.
Has any one else encountered this fault?
I was thinking it may be something as simple a poor connector but I don’t know which could be causing the symptoms of the idle speed/throttle.
CANDO

Post by CANDO »

Just an update on my diagnostic light problem.
Having taken the car back to the dealer where it was purchased from he said he would take it to a pug dealer to have the fault code read. However having kept the car for a day and a half it appears he just used a Gunsons type hand held fault code reader, which showed no fault. Within 10 minuets of leaving him exactly the same fault occurred!! He agreed that I should take the e car to pug for diagnosis as to my mind it was now becoming dangerous. Pugs 20min-test (£38!) showed the accelerator pedal sensor to be intermittent with the rpm stuck at 1280. The service manager (who's quite a reasonable guy) said it was not a common fault. Just as well as they want £170+vat for the sensor, £280 including fitting!
The dealer where I got the car from said he would fit a second hand one under his warranty.
Has anyone else needed to have had one of these fitted? I don't know how easy they are to get second hand (or how reliable it will be). Does anybody make copy parts?
All feedback will appreciated.
Muggins
My Cars:

Post by Muggins »

Sorry i dont know about how easy they are to get hold of nor do i know about the copy parts.
But in all honesty if I was you and the warranty was still in effect (which it obviously is) I would argue the toss with the dealer I purchased it from to have the main dealer fit the part and whilst he picks up the bill!
If you agree and you try to pull that off and it works get him to take the car to the dealer for the work to be done and demand a receipt for the dealers work! that way you aint left with a bill that you have paid and a used car dealer thats "changed his mind" ;)