205 rear axle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thrappit

205 rear axle

Post by thrappit »

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="4"></font id="size4"><font color="black"></font id="black">
I have a 1989 205 GTI 1.9 and the rear rear axle has seized up on one side, im finding that 1.9 rear axles are like rocking horse s**t, what is the possibility of sticking on a 1.6 axle with drums till i can find a 1.9 replacement.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The axle would be a straight swap but you would have trouble with the brake lines, they are different on the 1.6 when compared to the 1.9. One uses two lines to the rear, one uses only one (I cant remember which is which).
Ross
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If you have a good drum brake axle, simply swap the disc setup over onto it, its all drilled and tapped ready, just knock the stubs straight out and swap them over as they are different.
The anti roll bar might be thicker on the 19 but not sure, anyway where has your axle siezed up, is it the arm bearings or has a damper just gone stiff.
Dave
thrappit

Post by thrappit »

Cheers for the advice folks, i think that the arm bearings have collapsed on one side coz when you jack the car up, the rear passenger wheel is just set!! If i can just swap the drums for my disc setup that would be sound, that way i can keep the braking as standard!! if i did keep the drums on though, would that effect the MOT on the car! Thanks again for your advice