Following the write off of her beloved C4 Mme is now looking for a replacement.
The Citroen C3 at around 2024/5 is the car that keeps cropping up as it has none of this wet belt plague.
The C3 1.2 Turbo 100ch MAX & 1.5 Blue HDi 100 ch are the one's in the frame at the mo.
Petrol or diesel?
-
mickthemaverick
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 21157
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
- x 8122
Re: Petrol or diesel?
I've been banned from diesel by my daughter so petrol all the way for me!! 
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
-
owl
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 19:26
- x 15
Re: Petrol or diesel?
I have two 1.5 bluehdi diesel. Listen to me!
Don’t even think about diesel. Get a petrol car. AdBlue, DPF, injectors, fuel quality, oil turning black immediately after an oil change, and everything else that comes with it… I’m at the point where I say this: if you have an enemy, recommend that they buy a 1.5 diesel!
The 1.2 might not be the perfect setup, but honestly, I’d choose even the VW Group’s 1.0 TSI over the 1.5 diesel.
Just go and buy a petrol car.
Don’t even think about diesel. Get a petrol car. AdBlue, DPF, injectors, fuel quality, oil turning black immediately after an oil change, and everything else that comes with it… I’m at the point where I say this: if you have an enemy, recommend that they buy a 1.5 diesel!
The 1.2 might not be the perfect setup, but honestly, I’d choose even the VW Group’s 1.0 TSI over the 1.5 diesel.
Just go and buy a petrol car.
-
owl
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 19:26
- x 15
Re: Petrol or diesel?
By the way, the fuel consumption gap between diesel and petrol engines is no longer what it used to be. Modern petrol engines are almost as fuel-efficient as diesels. And if you go for a PHEV, it gets even better.
A friend of mine has a Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV that averages just 3.3 L/100 km in city driving. Another friend drives a BMW 320i and gets around 6.8–7.0 L/100 km, while my 1.5 BlueHDi averages 6.7 L/100 km.
Do the math properly and factor in long-term maintenance costs. If you mostly drive in the city and only occasionally take longer trips, the answer to your question is pretty clear.
A friend of mine has a Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV that averages just 3.3 L/100 km in city driving. Another friend drives a BMW 320i and gets around 6.8–7.0 L/100 km, while my 1.5 BlueHDi averages 6.7 L/100 km.
Do the math properly and factor in long-term maintenance costs. If you mostly drive in the city and only occasionally take longer trips, the answer to your question is pretty clear.
-
PaulC5
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: 06 Jun 2023, 15:26
- x 685
Re: Petrol or diesel?
I have gone off newer diesels due to the Adblue stuff and expensive repairs when it goes wrong. Our 1.6 hdi Cactus this year needed the Adblue injector replacing as well as the bit of exhaust it screws into, also the NOx sensor needed replacing twice, once at 3 years and again a few months ago. Our 1.5 hdi 308 is going in next week due to an Adblue fault causing the mileage countdown going to prevent starting and hoping it will be covered by the extended warranty. The 1.5 hdi fuel economy is no better than our 1.5 petrol Octavia and a lot worse than previous 1.6 hdi C4s. The 1.5 hdi cam shaft chains can fail.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55087
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8391
Re: Petrol or diesel?
Neither... Go electric 
I'd not consider another diesel now although touch-wood, my van has been fine... When it dies I'm planning to go electric and already have my eye on a yellow R5
If the thought of electric shocks you then go petrol...
I can't help thinking that petroleum supplies and prices, especially diesel, will become ever more volatile and unpredictable in the no so distant future; electricity less so...
I'd not consider another diesel now although touch-wood, my van has been fine... When it dies I'm planning to go electric and already have my eye on a yellow R5
If the thought of electric shocks you then go petrol...
I can't help thinking that petroleum supplies and prices, especially diesel, will become ever more volatile and unpredictable in the no so distant future; electricity less so...
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Sloppysod
- Moderating Team
- Posts: 1528
- Joined: 23 May 2015, 23:35
- x 396
Re: Petrol or diesel?
I agree, currently have PHEV,, average 2-3p/mile, at 170p/litre for petrol at 45mpg would be about 17p/mile (my average so far this year is around 9p/mile).CitroJim wrote: Yesterday, 05:12 Neither... Go electric
........
I can't help thinking that petroleum supplies and prices, especially diesel, will become ever more volatile and unpredictable in the no so distant future; electricity less so...
I very much doubt we will see sub £1.40/litre for Desiel again!
Stu 
"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
-
OnlineRichard_C
- (Donor 2026)
- Posts: 775
- Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:31
- x 228
Re: Petrol or diesel?
I would be thinking about electric or PHEV but there aren't many older ones about. What youy need to think about is the kind of journeys you do, not just the total mileage. Example. A good few years ago, when PHEVs were appeainig but BEV charging was not well established I worked about 10 miles away, most of my journeys were to there or to a station so well within PHEV range then once every couple of weeks I would have a long drive to one of our manufacturing sites. A PHEV would have been perfect because most of the trips and most of the miles would have been 'plug in power'. Then my role changed and nearly all my miles and trips were long range - PHEV pointless because most of the miles would have been petrol powered anyway - maybe less than 5% on battery. Its not the annual mileage that matters, its how you use it.
If most round trips are sub 200 miles and you have off road parking then BEV is the answer, you end up with charging at the expensive public network a few times a year but most of your miles are very low cost. And now there are some new/recent BEVS available at decent prices. Our current cars are a MHEV - for our frequent very long trips - and a 2017 1.2 petrol C3: when that goes we will get a BEV to replace it and doubtless make most of our trips in that.
You seem set on Citroen - good cars and usually excellent value for money to purchase - but think about support: if you depend on dealerships for anything it strikes me that the dealer network is stretched mighty thin in the UK and some are pretty dire. Your profile says Brittany so you might be OK. I doubt I would buy another new or recent Citroen regardless of how good the car is.
If most round trips are sub 200 miles and you have off road parking then BEV is the answer, you end up with charging at the expensive public network a few times a year but most of your miles are very low cost. And now there are some new/recent BEVS available at decent prices. Our current cars are a MHEV - for our frequent very long trips - and a 2017 1.2 petrol C3: when that goes we will get a BEV to replace it and doubtless make most of our trips in that.
You seem set on Citroen - good cars and usually excellent value for money to purchase - but think about support: if you depend on dealerships for anything it strikes me that the dealer network is stretched mighty thin in the UK and some are pretty dire. Your profile says Brittany so you might be OK. I doubt I would buy another new or recent Citroen regardless of how good the car is.
Richard_C
Current:C4 Max Hybrid, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C4 Picasso,C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk1, Maxi, VWT2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Current:C4 Max Hybrid, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C4 Picasso,C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk1, Maxi, VWT2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
-
OnlineRichard_C
- (Donor 2026)
- Posts: 775
- Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:31
- x 228
Re: Petrol or diesel?
Me too, but they are changing the colour options soon so the yellow ones won't have yellow seatsCitroJim wrote: Yesterday, 05:12
When it dies I'm planning to go electric and already have my eye on a yellow R5
Richard_C
Current:C4 Max Hybrid, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C4 Picasso,C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk1, Maxi, VWT2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Current:C4 Max Hybrid, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C4 Picasso,C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk1, Maxi, VWT2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
-
Vic Evans
- (Donor 2023)
- Posts: 316
- Joined: 07 Nov 2019, 10:59
- x 174
Re: Petrol or diesel?
@Richard C
"You seem set on Citroen - good cars and usually excellent value for money to purchase - but think about support: if you depend on dealerships for anything it strikes me that the dealer network is stretched mighty thin in the UK and some are pretty dire. Your profile says Brittany so you might be OK. I doubt I would buy another new or recent Citroen regardless of how good the car is."
Our very local Citroen agency is a good part of our reasoning for another.
They've looked after our cars for years & always given great service.
"You seem set on Citroen - good cars and usually excellent value for money to purchase - but think about support: if you depend on dealerships for anything it strikes me that the dealer network is stretched mighty thin in the UK and some are pretty dire. Your profile says Brittany so you might be OK. I doubt I would buy another new or recent Citroen regardless of how good the car is."
Our very local Citroen agency is a good part of our reasoning for another.
They've looked after our cars for years & always given great service.
-
NewcastleFalcon
- Posts: 26422
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 10:40
- x 7163
Re: Petrol or diesel?
CitroJim wrote: Yesterday, 05:12 Neither... Go electric
I'd not consider another diesel now although touch-wood, my van has been fine... When it dies I'm planning to go electric and already have my eye on a yellow R5
If the thought of electric shocks you then go petrol...
I can't help thinking that petroleum supplies and prices, especially diesel, will become ever more volatile and unpredictable in the no so distant future; electricity less so...
Refreshing Jim
I took the plunge because I always wanted to give it a go, and no regrets. For the first couple of years there was an early adopter bonus of very cheap even free on-the-road charging but that was always going to end, and pricing and taxation was always going to catch up.
Don't get too tied up in largely unpredictable future costs, if you fancy it give it a go! Charging at home currently still has a significant advantage particularly if combined with solar, and smart meter facilitated tariffs. On the road charging is little different in price from petrol and diesel. On our recent trip to the Lakes we opted for the most convenient and reliable and easy to use INSTAVOLT chargers at Booths Supermarket in Keswick. At 92p/kWh they are expensive but for very occasional use even a skinflint like me didn't mind too much paying the price.
The Deep Blue Pearl Gen 2 Leaf at one of those scenic Viewpoints, Whinlatter Pass overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
687 Trinity, Jersey
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28713
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: Petrol or diesel?
The main problem a lot of people have is the inability to charge at home. I could at a push but would need stringing a lead down the garden, over a bit of public land to a parking space, as long as one of the neighbours weren't in that space, and they usually are.
My eldest and youngest daughters have no option whatsoever. Their parking spaces are between 100 yds and 500 yds from their houses and over other properties and public pathways.
Same applies to about 75% of residences around here.
My eldest and youngest daughters have no option whatsoever. Their parking spaces are between 100 yds and 500 yds from their houses and over other properties and public pathways.
Same applies to about 75% of residences around here.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55087
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8391
Re: Petrol or diesel?
You know me Neil, a bit like Star Trek: 'always going forward and still can't find reverse'NewcastleFalcon wrote: Yesterday, 10:29
Refreshing JimYou do know that you will still be regarded as a pioneer on the FCF, but I for one will enjoy your R5 Diary should it reach the pages of the FCF!
Indeed so Steve. I'd say, looking at my town, the 75% figure is pretty much correct...myglaren wrote: Yesterday, 10:52 The main problem a lot of people have is the inability to charge at home.
There's a few lamppost chargers hereabout but they don't seem to have caught on very much...
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...