That sounds an awful lot of no fun at all.
Never been at all bothered about needles but wouldn't fancy having them suck in my eye.
Just been stabbed.
-
PaulC5
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: 06 Jun 2023, 15:26
- x 685
Re: Just been stabbed.
'routine tests - even the one where you poo into an improbably small tube'
Amazing the things we go through to live longer with good health but this takes some skill.
Amazing the things we go through to live longer with good health but this takes some skill.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55087
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8391
Re: Just been stabbed.
Richard, I know exactly! I was exactly the same. Could deal with any level of carnage on a fellow human being - and I have - but me, I've been known to pass out at the sight of a needle 
That was a good catch by your optician! They are good as years ago mine found a big problem with my eye control muscles that was a precursor to ME in hindsight and off I was despatched to hospital. And it was an optician who first spotted in my eldest what turned out to be MS. Good job opticians keep an eye on us
I was aware of the incredibly rare melanoma in the eye due to my 'interest' in the subject and I'm delighted Moorfields have successfully resolved it.
In connection with my own treatment, I was advised to avoid anyone who was pregnant for a while after being made radioactive; that included my own eldest daughter!
And... I had to walk to the operating theatre too; no ride on a trolley for me. The anaesthetic was bloody good stuff though. I was as high as a kite for many hours after I woke up. It was worth surgery just to experience it
I'm fine with medical procedures now, especially having had to learn to self-inject and recently I've been stabbed quite a lot... And not only Covid and 'flu... I can now watch a canula line being inserted quite happily. Progress!
Yesterday I had the ultimate test: seeing for the first time what lay under the copious bandages covering the site on my leg where a melanoma was dug out last week... It's not pretty, more extensive than I was given to believe and still quite gory... I do have photos as my nurse daughter was keen to see them for 'professional reasons'. I won't post them here - definitely NSFW and likely would fall foul of the Online Safety Act
May your health remain very good Richard
That was a good catch by your optician! They are good as years ago mine found a big problem with my eye control muscles that was a precursor to ME in hindsight and off I was despatched to hospital. And it was an optician who first spotted in my eldest what turned out to be MS. Good job opticians keep an eye on us
I was aware of the incredibly rare melanoma in the eye due to my 'interest' in the subject and I'm delighted Moorfields have successfully resolved it.
In connection with my own treatment, I was advised to avoid anyone who was pregnant for a while after being made radioactive; that included my own eldest daughter!
And... I had to walk to the operating theatre too; no ride on a trolley for me. The anaesthetic was bloody good stuff though. I was as high as a kite for many hours after I woke up. It was worth surgery just to experience it
I'm fine with medical procedures now, especially having had to learn to self-inject and recently I've been stabbed quite a lot... And not only Covid and 'flu... I can now watch a canula line being inserted quite happily. Progress!
Yesterday I had the ultimate test: seeing for the first time what lay under the copious bandages covering the site on my leg where a melanoma was dug out last week... It's not pretty, more extensive than I was given to believe and still quite gory... I do have photos as my nurse daughter was keen to see them for 'professional reasons'. I won't post them here - definitely NSFW and likely would fall foul of the Online Safety Act
May your health remain very good Richard
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: Just been stabbed.
Another Corvid jab. Safe from Crows, Magpies, Ravens and the like.
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: Just been stabbed.
And another Covid, + flujab. Had forgotten about the one above, in April.
Was there early as I never know how long it will take me to walk there. Double-jabbed and out of there half an hour before my scheduled appointment.
So quick I forgot to ask about Covid tests as I wondered about it a few weeks ago when I was 'full of cold' but don't seem to get colds and have never had 'flu.
Was there early as I never know how long it will take me to walk there. Double-jabbed and out of there half an hour before my scheduled appointment.
So quick I forgot to ask about Covid tests as I wondered about it a few weeks ago when I was 'full of cold' but don't seem to get colds and have never had 'flu.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55087
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8391
Re: Just been stabbed.
Got my 'flu jab on Saturday... With my dysfunctional immune system it'll be 'interesting' to see how I react...
I very rarely get 'flu (or covid) but when I do it's invariably bad news so always best to be jabbed and maybe suffer a day of being a bit 'off' for the benefit it might bring later...
I very rarely get 'flu (or covid) but when I do it's invariably bad news so always best to be jabbed and maybe suffer a day of being a bit 'off' for the benefit it might bring later...
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Must be Mad
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 22 Jun 2026, 15:36
- x 12
Re: Just been stabbed.
Good luck with it just got my email through for mid DecemberCitroJim wrote: 08 Oct 2026, 05:09 Got my 'flu jab on Saturday... With my dysfunctional immune system it'll be 'interesting' to see how I react...
I very rarely get 'flu (or covid) but when I do it's invariably bad news so always best to be jabbed and maybe suffer a day of being a bit 'off' for the benefit it might bring later...
-
Paul-R
- Moderating Team
- Posts: 9360
- Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
- x 1938
Re: Just been stabbed.
Me too. I had what I thought was a cold a couple of weeks ago. These normally last 3 - 5 days but mine ended up dragging on for two weeks. I had the thick feeling at the back of the throat, then it went onto my chest, then nasal congestion, etc. All accompanied by coughing.
What's this got to do with stabbing? Well, I was offered a vaccination against RSV which I took up. My condition enabled me to get this at a younger age than normal (not often I can say that). But what I didn't think about was that maybe it wasn't a cold but RSV that I had had already been infected with. The symptoms certainly fitted.
That wasn't the end of the problem though. My weekly blood test showed a sudden collapse in my platelet level. Down to 14 and then 3. Normal range is 150 - 400 for healthy people. My consultant is happy if it's above 50 and recently it's been in three figures. It's on the way up now, last Monday it had climbed back up to 58.
So, what caused the sudden drop? Was it the vaccination? Was it the possible RSV infection? Was it both? Was it a chance interaction by a neutrino from the other side of the universe? Who knows? I just keep taking the medication.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
-
Must be Mad
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 22 Jun 2026, 15:36
- x 12
Re: Just been stabbed.
RSV is brutal and sadly not widely understood by general public. my daughter when she was 7 months old was diagnosed, it was horrible in ward with 10 babies in the 5 nights she was there 4 did not make it. I only stayed 2 of the night but things like that never leave you. That was 17 nearly 18 year ago now RSV is still a major problem for the very young and very old and anyone with supresses immune systems, yet very rarely discussedlike other conditions
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: Just been stabbed.
I had the RSV jab last year. No side effects as usual.
But the condition that you have had, as I did - my son said that it has been common throughout the country and possibly caused by recent weather conditions.
But the condition that you have had, as I did - my son said that it has been common throughout the country and possibly caused by recent weather conditions.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55087
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8391
Re: Just been stabbed.
Yesterday I received my 'flu and pneumonia jabs. Apart from slightly sore arms and feeling a tiddly bit woozy I'm absolutely fine this morning 
I have to go back in a couple of weeks for my first dose of the shingles jab...
The timing of my jabs worked out well as my eldest had hers 30 minutes after me so I got to see her and spend time with my granddaughter - result
I have to go back in a couple of weeks for my first dose of the shingles jab...
The timing of my jabs worked out well as my eldest had hers 30 minutes after me so I got to see her and spend time with my granddaughter - result
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...