General info windscreen cowl blockage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)
Posts: 257
Joined: 21 Sep 2017, 18:05
x 76

General info windscreen cowl blockage

Unread post by citroenguy »

Hello
This might be common knowledge, but check your cowl/scuttle drains if you have an older car!

A couple of weeks ago we had 50mm of rain over a short time, an the passenger side footwell was full of water and wet up under the dash on my Peugeot 407. C5 x7, C6 and 508 mk1 are very similar but i guess it applies to most cars..

I couldnt find any leaks from the windscreen when pouring water down it. It has been done a few months ago, but by my collauge who is careful and doesn´t get any comebacks.

But when i removed the plastic cowl i could see there was lots of old leaves, pine needles etc under the wiper motors (which also isn´t good as they often fail due to moisture getting in).
Removed the covers over the strut tops to remove the wiper motors, and i could probably ave filled a 5L bottle with the debris. I also vacuumed up some and blew out some with compressed air.

My guess this far is that it overfilled the scuttle with rainwater, so much that it got in via the cabin air inlet.

#-o
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21119
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8111

Re: General info windscreen cowl blockage

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

Sadly a common problem on many cars I have owned! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
Posts: 3300
Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
x 1069

Re: General info windscreen cowl blockage

Unread post by Rp0thejester »

mickthemaverick wrote: Yesterday, 18:05 Sadly a common problem on many cars I have owned! :)
That's because you drive so slow, your that slow you even get parking tickets whilst moving. :-D
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.