Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'd really appreciate hearing your opinions.
I have a 2012 Peugeot 5008, 1.6HDI engine. Currently I'm at 203.000 km.
My daily commute is basically twice a 40-minute drive, half highway/half city.
The Problem
About 10.000km ago, I started to get intermittent DPF regen warnings. This continued to the point that no any "regen drive" would actually clear the warning anymore.
I brought it to a mechanic, they dried forced regen, but this proved ineffective, after which they took the DPF out, "cleaned it" (there's no quantitative measure of before/after, so I guess "something" happened), and replaced also the differential pressure sensor.
After the cleaning, it was OK for a short while, but then the warnings came back. Maybe within a week.
In the mean time, I also got a check engine light, and one day, the engine simply didn't want to start anymore.
I brought it to my usual garage, and they determined that the injectors were basically junk, this was at 197.000km. (They had already been worked on at 140.000km, when I experienced limp mode suddenly while overtaking).
So, I got new injectors. The garage told they couldn't find anything off regarding the DPF, but hypothesized that my old injectors could produce excessive smoke and overload the DPF.
After that, I did an hour-long regen drive, highway mostly in fifth. The warning cleared, and for about 5000km there was no dpf warning and I was happy.
However, since, the warnings have returned with a vengeance. Basically, the patterns is as follows: During my morning drive, I manage to clear the warning. Then, during my afternoon drive I have to climb a steep hill on the highway, which I do in 4th at 90km/hr (that's 2800rpm), and without a exception this will trigger the warning. Which I'll then proceed to clear the next morning. In other words: calm/typical driving doesn't trigger it, but high load and acceleration do.
The Question
Today I came across this post: viewtopic.php?t=73050
This was basically the first time that I read that my DPF may actually have a lifetime of 125.000km. And that maybe you can add another 80.000, but that's basically where I'm at with my car... I also know that cleaning a DPF can only do so much, and that you cannot bring it back to new.
I do wish to keep the car. The engine is for the rest in perfect condition, and I enjoy driving it, there's no noticeable oil consumption.
So, I wonder: Perhaps I should actually just replace the DPF since it's beyond its lifetime?
And what would be the diagnostic process leading up to drawing that conclusion? For instance, what about
- bad injector coding,
- boost leak,
- EGR stuck open,
- MAF error,
- turbo control issue,
- thermostat too cold,
- excessive oil burning,
- compression problem.
Can this all be handled/checked off by a simple diagnostic pass over the engine?
I'd really be thankful for your thoughts.
Regards,
Willem
Recurring DPF warning after cleaning and new injectors
-
wgerven
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Yesterday, 09:31
-
Stickyfinger
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 11828
- Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
- x 2001
Re: Recurring DPF warning after cleaning and new injectors
For what it is worth...
- bad injector coding,...can be checked by Pug Planet software
- boost leak,...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- EGR stuck open, ...operation can be checked with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- MAF error, ...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- turbo control issue, ...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- thermostat too cold,...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software or just replace with a new one to be sure.
- excessive oil burning,...not sure but simple consumption reading will help, other maybe have input.
- compression problem...Garage can check this
Was the system fully "Reset" using the correct software and in all the required sub menus after the work was done by the garage....??
- bad injector coding,...can be checked by Pug Planet software
- boost leak,...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- EGR stuck open, ...operation can be checked with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- MAF error, ...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- turbo control issue, ...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software
- thermostat too cold,...values can be read with "live Data" on a test drive using the Pug software or just replace with a new one to be sure.
- excessive oil burning,...not sure but simple consumption reading will help, other maybe have input.
- compression problem...Garage can check this
Was the system fully "Reset" using the correct software and in all the required sub menus after the work was done by the garage....??
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
Activa, the Moose Dodger
-
Huskyxantia
- (Donor 2025)
- Posts: 3882
- Joined: 30 Jul 2018, 22:11
- x 906
Re: Recurring DPF warning after cleaning and new injectors
This might sound werid but theres a chap who lives not far from me he was having similar issues, short version , turns out the clutch was slipping on his car ,he had that all renewed i spoke to him about a week ago as he saw me working on my 2008 , he told me his problems have gone since having the clutch replaced
Husky.
Thinking outside of the box is better than sitting in a dark one.

-
windy1603
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 30 Jul 2026, 10:24
- x 9
Re: Recurring DPF warning after cleaning and new injectors
I had a similar issue on my old DS3 e-HDI after injector failure. I thought I would pressure-wash it to see if it would work again short term until i could replace DPF.
Dropped off the DPF and backflushed it with a pressure washer. It took a while and i think the unburned fuel had mixed with the soot as I had black/orange strings of sludge (like silicone from a silicone tube) coming out of the matrix; after a while, it cleared about 90% of the matrix.
Left to drain overnight and then refitted, and after a bit of steam it was fine; passed 2 further MOTs with 0 smoke readings and 45K miles later, when I sold it is was still running fine.
Dropped off the DPF and backflushed it with a pressure washer. It took a while and i think the unburned fuel had mixed with the soot as I had black/orange strings of sludge (like silicone from a silicone tube) coming out of the matrix; after a while, it cleared about 90% of the matrix.
Left to drain overnight and then refitted, and after a bit of steam it was fine; passed 2 further MOTs with 0 smoke readings and 45K miles later, when I sold it is was still running fine.