1997 auto Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Mark_Lancaster2026
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 May 2026, 16:04

1997 auto Xantia

Unread post by Mark_Lancaster2026 »

I have a 2lt petrol auto the gear selector has disintegrated, firstly how do you remove it
and has any body sourced a replacement for a side button selector?
User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10965
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 22:03
x 1459

Re: 1997 auto Xantia

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

They all do that eventually....

removal instructions cribbed from the XM forum:
it's dead easy to remove and re-fit: just draw down the boot (elasticated at the top), undo two small screws either side of the sleeve, slightly push down and twist the whole device whilst holding in the detent button and it then easily pulls off. Re-fitting is the reverse process – either for RH or LHD !
There are no genuine replacements available, but some have glued them together, others have encased them in leather and others (with more time on their hands?) have carved replacements from wood.

Note that LHD parts are mirror image with the button on the other side, so not much use.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 1988
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
x 263

Re: 1997 auto Xantia

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

Yes that's a case of "they all do that sir". Ours we managed to catch before any smaller bits went missing & I put it together and wrapped it tightly with good quality black electrical tape (think it was 3M but not sure). I didn't think it'd be much of a "fix" at the time, but that was probably 7 years ago now & it's holding up well with no stickiness or peeling as yet.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11833
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2004

Re: 1997 auto Xantia

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

https://qkcitroenclassics.com/shop/

Scroll down....

Try these people, they do leather or plastic....on an exchange service
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
octinum
Posts: 49
Joined: 27 Dec 2016, 19:08
x 11

Re: 1997 auto Xantia

Unread post by octinum »

I used two-part epoxy putty to plug the "holes" on mine, then wrapped for good measure at the time.

When removing&refitting, be *very* careful. The rod below has a T shaped end on top. What you need to do is start removal as described above, and when twisting, make it a 90 degree turn (the button on the side will be oriented to the front or rear of the car, not sure if it matters which tho). Then pull, but do not force. When installing, install in this orientation, push gently, and turn 90 degrees.

Mine apparently was not removed this way previously, causing that T shaped top to break. They then attempted to fix it with solder, which did hold until I was trying to reinsert after removing for repairs. I since have converted the car to manual (for other reasons, not the selector lever! ), so this is all I know. :D
Mark_Lancaster2026
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 May 2026, 16:04

Re: 1997 auto Xantia

Unread post by Mark_Lancaster2026 »

I managed to remove the handle with out incident. When I say without incident the side button was stiff and then decided to let go leaving me hunting around for the spring .
I hope that was all went flying, I managed to find it but I am hoping there were no other bits that disappeared, any insights on this?

unfortunately the entire top half of my lever is missing just leaving a bit around the stem. so It can't be refinished or glued back.
I am in the process of 3d cover and so far its going OK so at least I will have a functioning lever

thanks for the input so far and the link to the qkcitroen classics
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11833
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2004

Re: 1997 auto Xantia

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

I "rebuilt one" using Black Milliput, an epoxy modelling clay that does not shrink, I embedded the correct texture in it as well :)

Only the button and the spring.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger