Releasing EPB disables charging .

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.
Jerry-67
Posts: 2
Joined: Today, 08:25

Releasing EPB disables charging .

Unread post by Jerry-67 »

Hi folks...new member here first post...

My 2013 Peugeot 508 Hybrid has the following very specific and repeatable fault...

Idling the battery sits at 14.7 volts (the traction battery also seems to be charging)....however as soon as I release the electric parking brake the voltage drops to 12.8.

The second I reapply the parking brake, the voltage jumps back to 14.7.

It's a recent purchase, the seller was upfront the car had electric issues, he had the alternator rebuilt. I've parked it at my brother's house 100 miles south for the meantime.

I've already fitted a new bpga as the previous one seemed to be not reactivating unless the battery posts were temporarily jumpered....I had hoped that would solve its issues, however driving the vehicle and hoping the smart charging initiates just resulted in a further depleted battery, even to the stage of power steering failure.

I had been thinking the EPB motor current draw was excessive, but the voltage seems stable (on my voltmeter) during EPB operation....also the charging immediately resumes on application of the EPB (which surely would draw more amperage than applying the EPB....

It makes no sense, it'll be a couple of weeks before I get down to check out brakes, canbus resistance, new battery, battery monitor, etc....but any advice from members here would be very welcome thanks in advance.


Jerry
User avatar
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 10955
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 22:03
x 1454

Re: Releasing EPB disables charging .

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

Modern alternators are controlled by the engine ECU, it is possible that the ECU is deliberately disabling charging. It would be useful to know if the voltage drops any lower, or if the alternator is holding it at 12.8V.

It may be that a new battery of correct specification will fix this behaviour which may be due to the ECU misjudging the state of charge of an old or wrong spec battery.
Jerry-67
Posts: 2
Joined: Today, 08:25

Re: Releasing EPB disables charging .

Unread post by Jerry-67 »

Thanks Xantia, yes it does appear to be a deliberate policy which could only come from the ECU.... the voltage doesn't stabilize on driving, battery completely drains.... I'll try a new AGM battery, and battery monitor on the negative post (obd voltage does register accurate results from the actual batt posts)

If it's a logical strategy it's one of Peugeot's more psychotic ploys to leave us stranded on the highway.