Android Auto. How to play the radio whilst using Google maps?
I know this works because sometimes I switch to Android Auto and it does this be default but I can't see how to make it happen if I already have media playing
Any ideas?
Android Auto. How to play the radio whilst using Google maps?
-
ChrisKe
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 18 Sep 2018, 13:48
- x 4
-
GiveMeABreak
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 41989
- Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
- x 6957
Re: Android Auto. How to play the radio whilst using Google maps?
Can't speak for AA, but it's not an issue on CarPlay - I just select radio on the Head Unit and it plays and remains playing until I select another source like the Secondary USB for Music files, or switching to CarPlay. The radio or Music files on USB still play even when using CarPlay navigation. The only time the original source cuts off is when I choose Apple Music within CarPlay as it should - but I just go back to source via the hard button or 3 finger press on screen and select the Head Unit source again as needed.
So I can't ascertain from your post what your situation is, as "see how to make it happen if I already have media playing" doesn't tell me what media and from where? - Media on the Head Unit or the Phone?
So I can't ascertain from your post what your situation is, as "see how to make it happen if I already have media playing" doesn't tell me what media and from where? - Media on the Head Unit or the Phone?
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.
Marc
Marc
-
Patrick Ackerman
- New User
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 20 Sep 2026, 10:00
Re: Android Auto. How to play the radio whilst using Google maps?
Salut ! J'ai eu le même genre de souci agaçant avec la gestion des flux audio entre la navigation et la radio/musique sur certains systèmes d'origine.
Pour régler définitivement ce genre de problème de multitasking et ne plus être embêté par les priorités audio bizarres, j'ai fini par opté pour un boîtier Carlinkit (en mode sans fil). Franchement, ça change la vie : la gestion des applications (comme Google Maps et les lecteurs audio) devient beaucoup plus fluide, et on retrouve une vraie liberté sur les sources sonores sans que l'un coupe bêtement l'autre. Ça vaut le coup d'œil si tu veux fiabiliser ton installation.
Pour régler définitivement ce genre de problème de multitasking et ne plus être embêté par les priorités audio bizarres, j'ai fini par opté pour un boîtier Carlinkit (en mode sans fil). Franchement, ça change la vie : la gestion des applications (comme Google Maps et les lecteurs audio) devient beaucoup plus fluide, et on retrouve une vraie liberté sur les sources sonores sans que l'un coupe bêtement l'autre. Ça vaut le coup d'œil si tu veux fiabiliser ton installation.
-
Onlinemyglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28677
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5673
Re: Android Auto. How to play the radio whilst using Google maps?
Please post in English!
Use a translator if necessary, i.e. Google Translate or DeepL.
Use a translator if necessary, i.e. Google Translate or DeepL.
-
Paul-R
- Moderating Team
- Posts: 9328
- Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
- x 1940
Re: Android Auto. How to play the radio whilst using Google maps?
Translation for the benefit of others.
Hi! I ran into the same kind of annoying issue with how audio streams were handled between navigation and the radio/music on some factory systems.
To permanently fix this sort of multitasking problem and stop dealing with weird audio priority issues, I ended up going with a Carlinkit box (using wireless mode). Honestly, it’s a game-changer: app management (like Google Maps and music players) becomes much smoother, and you get real freedom over your audio sources without one stupidly cutting off the other. It’s worth checking out if you want a more reliable setup.
Hi! I ran into the same kind of annoying issue with how audio streams were handled between navigation and the radio/music on some factory systems.
To permanently fix this sort of multitasking problem and stop dealing with weird audio priority issues, I ended up going with a Carlinkit box (using wireless mode). Honestly, it’s a game-changer: app management (like Google Maps and music players) becomes much smoother, and you get real freedom over your audio sources without one stupidly cutting off the other. It’s worth checking out if you want a more reliable setup.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
-
Richard_C
- (Donor 2026)
- Posts: 770
- Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:31
- x 225
Re: Android Auto. How to play the radio whilst using Google maps?
I can understand the OPs question and frustration assuming the Peugeot is simlar to my Citroen. Android auto (AA) occupies the whole screen so you can choose full screen google maps or split maps and another AA app but you just can't see the radio buttons. So there you are listening to Mahler 2 streamed from your phone and you want to catch the news on radio.....
What I have done is put some radio favourites on my home screen. Press home button (physical), press radio of your choice, then go back to AA using the icon on the screen or press and hold the home button. You don't need to pause or stop streaming, when you choose a radio station it sorts itself out. I've not found a way to have AA part screen.
Once you are listening to radio you can go up and down your stored favourites using a steering wheel button so you don't need to faff about via the screen.
Not intuitive. I wonder if it is just poor design or if its to get us to continue to pay for updates for the utterly useless built in sat nav: you can have that on part screen with the radio buttons visible.
If you only want BBC radio stations, you can split the AA screen between google maps and BBC sounds and stream live radio from there: a caution though - if you lose streaming signal BBC sounds is clever enough to pause and resume so you don't miss anything. So the time check 'pips' may be late.
What I have done is put some radio favourites on my home screen. Press home button (physical), press radio of your choice, then go back to AA using the icon on the screen or press and hold the home button. You don't need to pause or stop streaming, when you choose a radio station it sorts itself out. I've not found a way to have AA part screen.
Once you are listening to radio you can go up and down your stored favourites using a steering wheel button so you don't need to faff about via the screen.
Not intuitive. I wonder if it is just poor design or if its to get us to continue to pay for updates for the utterly useless built in sat nav: you can have that on part screen with the radio buttons visible.
If you only want BBC radio stations, you can split the AA screen between google maps and BBC sounds and stream live radio from there: a caution though - if you lose streaming signal BBC sounds is clever enough to pause and resume so you don't miss anything. So the time check 'pips' may be late.
Richard_C
Current:C4 Max Hybrid, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C4 Picasso,C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk1, Maxi, VWT2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Current:C4 Max Hybrid, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C4 Picasso,C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk1, Maxi, VWT2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini