C5X soundproofing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Traction Avanti
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Nov 2025, 17:01
x 2

Re: C5X soundproofing

Unread post by Traction Avanti »

Phew what a faffffffffffffff, all that work, effort, time, money this chap deserves a medal or two!

The benefit of age is one looses faculties, I will not go into too much detail here as the more mature gentlemen on this forum will have had the same experiences.

I have managed to get zero db reading with my sound proofing endeavours, its simple, effective and efficient, I just turn off the hearing aids, brilliant also stops the sound deafening screams from the Mrs when I am doing my Sebastian Loeb impersonations whilst on the way to Tesco.

Dream on fellas
User avatar
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
Posts: 3293
Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
x 1068

Re: C5X soundproofing

Unread post by Rp0thejester »

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a hearing aid but I found a cheap solution to remove the kids whining noise
Spoiler: show
20260914_120434~2.jpg
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
DS9
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 237
Joined: 08 Sep 2023, 14:52
x 33

Re: C5X soundproofing

Unread post by DS9 »

I did the bonnet liner today. Took me a little longer than I expected (maybe 2 hrs) but I wanted a neat job, see final pic of about 6 I took. I cut a little around the plug holes with a stanley knife as the extra 10mm or so depth makes then harder to reattach. Then right at the end after I'd taken this pic the bonnet wouldnt close even after pushing down. If you look at the pic where the stanley knife is just in front of that is a raised buffer thing, so to not have this as an obstuction I cut a piece each side out of the bonnet liner. Then it was fine, after the 1st time it closes it settles down and after that opening/ closing is as normal.

The only annoyance is I dropped one of the plugs down near the front of the car and I can't get to it somewhere around the fan so I have a missing hole right middle of the felt pad. I might buy some but I'm ok with it as it stands.

I havent been for a drive yet....but I did run the car for a few minutes at idle and it's definitely quieter than before. I can hear the engine at 800rpm but its definitely muted vs what it was, and that's coming from the previous installation I had of 2 layers of butyl sound deadening just under the felt pad. Obviously if I'd gone straight from the original setup to what I have now the change would have been more noticeable.
Attachments
PXL_20260916_132442868.jpg
DS9
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 237
Joined: 08 Sep 2023, 14:52
x 33

Re: C5X soundproofing

Unread post by DS9 »

Forgot to say, when I got one of these liners a couple of yrs ago they werent easy to find and now it's even harder. The last was £40 inc free delivery and this time I had to source from a smaller company and pay an extra £15 delivery.

The manufacturer now has a "pro liner" which changes from 1.5 sqm (1m*1.5m) and 10mm to 1.2sqm (1m*1.2sqm) and 12mm but the price doubles to £80. I don't think it'd be wide enough for the C5X.