Been trying to diagnose and fix the incredibly stiff ride of my 2010 C5X7. ALL seven spheres have been replaced by a specialist - system bled and refilled to correct level, etc.
Other symptoms;
Front right rattle diagnosed as suspension arm bush.
Front end doesn't always respond to height commands and is slow to do so when it does.
Car sitting about an inch higher on all corners than it is supposed to.
I've been given mixed information regarding the ride height issue. I've been told it absolutely must be done with a diagbox, and I've also been told I can do it via adjusting the collars attached to sensors at the roll bar - well today I had a go at the back one, without a proper ramp or lift there is no chance of freeing that bolt safely. I'm well aware of the risks working underneath this car regarding suspension so I didn't attempt it.
Would I be right in saying the extra ride height is causing extra pressure in the system that could be contributing to stiffness all round?
The specialist garage can't see me again for another six weeks, and it pains me to drive it like this. If I had a ramp or pit I'm sure I could sort the collars myself but I'm not sure that will get the result of a soft ride.
2010 C5X7 suspension diagnosis
-
Kees
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 591
- Joined: 16 Nov 2021, 16:16
- x 147
Re: 2010 C5X7 suspension diagnosis
The best way, to correct the height is with the diagbox.
The normal height is 73 cm from the ground to the middle of the arc from the front fender.
If there is no diagbox, yes you can adjust the clamp on the stabilizer shaft.
what kind of spheres are there on you're car now? Type?
The normal height is 73 cm from the ground to the middle of the arc from the front fender.
If there is no diagbox, yes you can adjust the clamp on the stabilizer shaft.
what kind of spheres are there on you're car now? Type?
-
seefyv
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 06 Sep 2026, 17:54
Re: 2010 C5X7 suspension diagnosis
They are IFHS spheres. At the front the car is around 76cm, rear is at about 75cm.
Does the height sensor get shifted over time causing it to drift?
Does the height sensor get shifted over time causing it to drift?
-
Kees
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 591
- Joined: 16 Nov 2021, 16:16
- x 147
Re: 2010 C5X7 suspension diagnosis
Wel, this is an explanation, why the suspension is stiff, but it's not normal, that the height shift over time.
So you have to adjust it.
So you have to adjust it.
-
KennyW
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 2615
- Joined: 17 Jan 2006, 21:22
- x 165
Re: 2010 C5X7 suspension diagnosis
The suspension adjusts itself to wear and tear but when you renew and part in the suspension set up it will be different .
I found this out to my cost when I renew the front wishbones to find the height way out. I adjusted it with the height sensor at the front by moving it by a tiny fraction. A slow and laborious task, eventually I got it within the correct parameters and finished it off with diagbox.
This took several days of trial and error, learning from my mistakes.
Kenny
I found this out to my cost when I renew the front wishbones to find the height way out. I adjusted it with the height sensor at the front by moving it by a tiny fraction. A slow and laborious task, eventually I got it within the correct parameters and finished it off with diagbox.
This took several days of trial and error, learning from my mistakes.
Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, moved on.
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
-
seefyv
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 06 Sep 2026, 17:54
Re: 2010 C5X7 suspension diagnosis
Interesting! I did get all new drop links in before I changed all my spheres so maybe that changed the geometry. Do you know what size the bolts are on the collars? I have a feeling mine will be seized so if is extract them I want to have the replacements to hand. I did put a spanner to my rear one to get the size of the head - being 8mm but I suppose it varies by the week the car was built