Turbo/exhaust problem - 306 XRDT

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tnunn

Turbo/exhaust problem - 306 XRDT

Post by tnunn »

My '95 306 XRDT has suddenly started sounding a bit poorly. As the revs get to between 2000 to 3000 - where the turbo would normally kick in - the engine sound has become unusually loud. It's also lacking the extra accelaration boost that the turbo used to give it. I think the turbo does spin up, but now at much higher revs (nearly 3000) than it used to.
What might have gone wrong? Is there something up with the turbo? Or perhaps just an exhaust leak somewhere meaning there's less pressure to drive the turbo?
Thanks.
Edited by - tnunn on 27 Jan 2003 16:39:08
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

More likely to be a leak on the intake side than the exhaust, look for loose connections in the ducting from the turbo to the intercooler.
The intercooler to manifold rubber gasket can fail and cause blowing and reduced boost pressure, plus noise of course.
If none of them, perhaps a blown manifold gasket.
Dave
tnunn

Post by tnunn »

Thanks.
My current plan is to just dismantle everything. Take out the intercooler, the inlet and exhaust manifolds and the turbo, and hopefully I'll fond the problem somewhere along the way. I'll renew all the gaskets as I put it back together.
I'll let you know what I find when I get the time to do it.