low compression

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jerry
My Cars:

low compression

Post by jerry »

Hi i'm still doing up my daughters 1988 205 junior,the car has done a genuine 51,000 miles from new backed up by mostly peugeot service history.the problem I am having is that the cylinder nearest the cam belt cover has a severe misfire, i have renewed plugs, leads rotor arm and distributor cap.today I did a compression test, according to the haynes manual cylinder no 1 is nearest the fly wheel,this is registering 12 bar,cylinder no 2 is registering 11.5 bar cylinder no 3 is registering 9 bar and cylinder no 4 is registering 4 bar.clearly there is something seriously wrong with cylinders 3 and 4.I put some oil down the bores and there was only a marginal improvement,does any body think that it could be "just" a cylinder head gasket? or is it something more ominous.It would be a shame to have to scrap the car,but the value of the car doesn't warrant spending a fortune on it.Also according to the service history the car had 2 valves replaced on cylinder no 4 (not by peugeot)and a headset and cam belt in 1999 due to the cam belt snapping.Is the cylinder head a weak point on the TU9 engine? any help would be gratefully received as I now have a daughter who has passed her theory test and is now nagging me to take her out in her own car!!
Regards
Jerry
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I'd say you are looking at valve trouble there, either not having the correct clearance, a poor match with the seat or just plain burnt, sounds like to much pressure going west to be a head gasket, and if it were you should know about it with that much pressure loss me thinks.
Dave
Hehehe just correcting a bit of gobbledygook
Edited by - Dave Burns on 21 Oct 2002 20:16:47
handman

Post by handman »

i would agree with dave 100% - but it would be a shame to scrap it when it would be cheaper to go the breakers yard and replace the cylinder head there are some places on the net that will supply one with a garantee ie:- MORGANS auto breakers or some one near you, you should get away with just a new head gasket, sounds like a good little motor and worth the effort since you put a fair bit of cash into it allready
have a nice day you all
jerry
My Cars:

Post by jerry »

thanks for your help dave and handman, i think i'll persivere with the car, i had previously checked the valve clearances, i'll check them again just to be sure,then i'll lift the head and see what i find. i wasn't altogether happy with the previous workmanship on the head as when i tok off the inlet manifold (i thought it had a vacuum leak)the coolant holes were completely bunged up with silicone sealant.thanks again for your help.regards Jerry
jerry
My Cars:

Post by jerry »

Hi Dave and Handman,thanks for your advice,I have been trying to get on this site for ages I understand theres been a few problems! any way I whipped the head off and every thing looked o.k. I tried to grind the exhaust valves in but only a half moon shape dull grey appearance showed up on the valve, i put 1 of the valves in the chuck of an electric drill set on low speed and lo and behold i discovered 3 valves bent at different degree's! obviously the garage that charged 350.00 pounds to change 2 valves when the cam belt snapped didn't make a very good job of it!! any way touch wood I hope it all goes back together o.k.
Regards
Jerry