ZX Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesOstridge
My Cars:

ZX Clutch

Post by JamesOstridge »

The clutch has started slipping on my '92 1.4 ZX at anything more than 1/3 throttle in every gear so I think it is time to change it. How difficult is it to change and what does the job involve, or should I leave it to the 'experts'? I have been quoted £325, is this reasonable? Thanks in advance.
James.
smegg55
My Cars:

Post by smegg55 »

It depends on how mechanically minded you are and if you got the tools for the job. If you got the time and the equipment then go for it but otherwise phone around various clutch replacement people for a better quote.
JamesOstridge
My Cars:

Post by JamesOstridge »

Strangely the clutch did not slip once when driving today no-matter how much throttle I used... Please can somebody tell me what is going on!!! Thanks James
JamesOstridge
My Cars:

Post by JamesOstridge »

In case anyone is interested Mr. Clutch will change a ZX clutch and renew the gearbox oil for less than £200 with a 2 year warrenty
Jimmydeath
My Cars:

Post by Jimmydeath »

I changed my clutch a few months ago and whilst I see that you are getting yours fitted for you others may benefit from the following notes:
Some ZX clutches are of the 'Pull' type, this completely threw me 'cos before I had only ever seen clutches that were released by the bearing pressing on the springs in the middle. The 'Pull' type clutch pulls the bearing, and the springs, away from the flywheel to release the clutch and means that the actuating fork must go between the bearing and the springs. I found this out the hard way and had to remove the gearbox for a second time.
The gearbox is a real pain to maneuver out of the engine bay and heavy too. If you havent got an engine hoist or one of those elevating tables to lift the gearbox into place then you will need a high lift trolley jack, strong arms and a copious supply of swear words.