BX D/TD Retrofit Temperature Gauge

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When I ran a TZD, I did this job exactly as you describe, however to fit the gauge, I removed the ashtray, detached the rear part of it and cut a suitable hole in the front face. I then glued the ashtray front back into the dash. In the early '90's, diesel BX's were very popular as Spanish taxis. They all had an after-market temp. gauge fitted.
Pug106Dave
My Cars:

Post by Pug106Dave »

Do you have a contact for the supplier? Am interested in fitting a gauge to my 106 diesel, as i have a paranoid disposition!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yes, I bought mine from www.speeding.co.uk
Do a Search on "TIM", the makers of the gauge, or go to checkout at http://www.speeding.co.uk/cgi-bin/ca000123.pl
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I'll be ordering one for the Pug. Whats the normal running temp of an XUD?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

On a good one, stat opens at 82. Gauge runs at 85 to 90 depending on conditions.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Cheers Tom.
Gareth Wales
My Cars:

Post by Gareth Wales »

Hi Jon, What is the round black fitment in front of the retro-fitted Tim water temperature gauge?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

All XUD's I've owned have had a new thermostat as soon as I bought it, and they've all run somewhere between 80 and 90 degrees. That is except my current 405. It has a habit of running in the high 70's if it's on the open road, which is too cool. I think I may have bought a duff 'stat for that one.
Gareth Wales
My Cars:

Post by Gareth Wales »

I've successfully fitted the Tim water temp gauge. It seems to stabalise on 80 - except when going - very slowly following heavy lorry - uphill, when it reaches 100. This looks dangerous to me - is it. Maybe I need a new thermostat - is that inside the black circular fitting shown in Jon's original pjhoto of the retro-fit? If it is, do I need to take any special measures when removing the top ie how do I re-seal it?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have a Tim gauge to my TD BX which seems fine except that it only ever gets to 80 and tends to run at 60 most of the time. As soon as I fitted the gauge I fitted a new thermostat and the car had a new radiator at about the same time as the old one was working well but weeping.
The fans do work but have very seldom come on in the 6 years I've had the car. The heater works well in winter and heat is produced quickly.
The engine is probably nicely run in now as its about to turn 200,000 miles.
jeremy
Gareth Wales
My Cars:

Post by Gareth Wales »

In view of what Jeremy and Tom says I'll relax a little. The trouble with the Tim is that I now watch it most of the time! Yet another BX-compulsive behaviour. Regarding the wiring, which I took off the clock, the best I could do is have the gauge light on with the ignition. I was kind of hoping that I could illuminate it only at night, with the headlights.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wired the light on mine to the sidelight circuit. I fitted the gauge in a pod to the left hand side of the instruement binnacle which actually works rather well as its out of the sight line and is not obscured by my hand on the steering wheel as its visible outside my hand as it were. I picked up a side light feed from somewhere in the binnacle - if I recall correctly from the rear wash wipe switch light.
You have a number of leads going to the clock - battery (clock supply) instruement lights (ignition), earth, and sidelight to operate the dipping - so in fact you already have a convenient power supply. I was wondering if I would have to provide a brightness control as I hate bright instruements but its not bright enough to need it. Might get some glass paint to make it match the others better!
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Ignore the actual numbers on the gauge, they are meaningless and probably vary from gauge to gauge!! I think they would be better if they looked like the old BL gauge-blue at the bottom, red at the top, no numbers!!!!
The thing to do is learn the <u>normal</u> behaviour of YOUR gauge and look for any <u>abnormal</u> behaviour - i.e. if it suddenly shoots up to somewhere its never been before.....[:0]
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi.
Why have a messy guage sitting on your dash. Fit a GTi Temp guage if you can get one, its just as easy, you can use the exisiting wireing harness on the car and looks very professonal..
I did it on my BX TD, years ago and had it for 2 years (I think).. Simply remove one of the Temp Light switches, place the Temp sensor in, plug the wire back in, then after pulling the dash apart, switching a wire in the RIGHT side multi plug follow the PCB print lines, put in the Temp guage in the instrument cluster and connect all up and re assemble. (thats a rough idea anyway).. Its quit handy and can be seen at night too.
citroenxm
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

I just finished doing that on my TZD today - used the temp gauge out of a 16V panel along with the sensor for the gauge. Took me about 2 1/2 hours all up with most of that for taking the panel out of the car and re-installing it. Used a spare connector and connected the sensor wire to pin 6 of the 10 pin connector and it works a treat. Took it for a drive and the gauge sits at around 80 -85C and now makes the TZD the same as my 16V panels, so no worries when changing cars about the different panels and whether the warning lights will work.
cheers,
Roscoe
91 BX TZD
90 BX 16V (x2)
04 Peugeot 307
90 Mitsubishi Express Van (alpaca transport)