front wheel bearing on pug 205

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jerry
My Cars:

front wheel bearing on pug 205

Post by jerry »

Hi the front nearside wheel bearing on my daughters 1988 205 junior is making a racket,is it possible to replace it without resorting to using a press or is it a right sod of a job?
Regards
Jerry[:)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Did one years ago while the hub carrier was still on the car, wasn't easey, better to take the carrier off and get it on a solid bench or just take it to some outfit with a press.
Doesn't matter what you do to get the old one out as long as you don't damage the carrier obviousely, but the new one must only be driven back in using its outer race or it may get trashed before you even get the wheel back on.
Scrape away all the rust in the bearings path in the carrier and dowse it with penetrating oil, then your'e in with a chance of doing it yourself but it will be tight.
Don't forget to get the hub nut loosened before jacking the car up, this operation alone can be enough to put some people off.
Dave
jerry
My Cars:

Post by jerry »

thanks for your help Dave[:D]
jerry
My Cars:

Post by jerry »

The latest on this saga is that my daughter went out today and promptly hit a vauxhall astra up the bum writing off the peugeot, so it looks like I won't be carrying out this particular job![:(]
Regards
Jerry