Seating: Xantia V C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Seating: Xantia V C5

Post by JohnD »

Anybody know how the seats are for long-distance comfort in C5's? My SX Xantia seats are lousy, compared with a previous BX TZD.
RDD
My Cars:

Post by RDD »

SX seats not comfy? What planet did you get your seats from?!!!! I did 400 miles last Saturday in perfect comfort.
The seats in my '96 SX estate are the comfiest I've sat in this side of my old mans Jaguar X-types....
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The SX seats are OK but not a patch on the BX TZ seats.
Not tried a C5 so can't comment but the C8 seats are good.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I have driven quite a lot of miles in a BX TZD, XM Exclusive, Xantia SX, and a C5 SX, and the comfort levels get worse as the cars evolve, my BX TZD seats are the comfiest seats i have ever sat in, XM's seats were also very comfy, like armchairs, but just not as good as the BX, Xantia seats are ok, but after about 4-5 hours driving you want to get out to stretch your legs, and the C5 seats werent good at all, they dont support the front of your legs properly and are just plain uncomfortable for any distances, they are aceptable for the first 2 hours, then they are uncomfortable after that for the rest of the day
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

You guys must have got different seats to us.
The BX19tri we got (an 8valve GTi with different trim) has terrible seats.... One of the worst car seats I've had the misfortune to travel in... My wifes back still has problems from that bloody car.
The Xantia seats are hard japanese like slippery leather items. Not uncomfortable, but certainly not the nice soft Citroen items I'm used to.
Comfort wise ??
DS pallas seats, they are simply a massive reclining arm chair. The early CX and GS's have nice simple seats that are extremelly comfortable (they don't look like much). The CX GTi turbo has brilliant seats with a lot of bolstering to keep you in the seat.
The C5 should be ok, certainly it can't be worse than the horendously bad seats fitted to the BX, hopefully they'll be a nice comfy seat like the Renault Laguna ( The same age as my Xantia, nice 'soft' proper french seats, not the hard cold/sticky/slippery seats fitted to the Xantia).
I simply can't understand how Citroen has been fitting such terribly bad seats to there cars... Even the basic 2cv/Renault 4 seats were vastly supperior in every way .... and they were just hamock like items !!!!
seeya,
Shane L.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I'm pretty sure the TZD had the really good comfortable seats with the lumbar adjustment and the front support bit, and all other models had crappy seats on the BX range, someone else might be able to confirm of deny this though as i have never driven a BX that wsnt TZD spec
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

I had three BX16RS and a BX19TZi
The TZI had the lumbar adjusment and squab tilt adjustment, I don't know if it was just fitted to TZ models though.
I found the Xantia SX seats too short, the Exclusive leather ones were brilliant, adjustable every which way.
GS seats were the best simple seat though.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The TZD seats are excellent although my son (6'4") complains they make his back ache, the XM seats are superb, even my son finds them comfortable. I have never driven a C5 but I have sat in one and thought the seats to short, I dont like most Peugeot seats for the same reason, but I am 6' tall.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I have yet to find any car that has seats as comfortable as my old MK2 Cavalier. Vauxhall are renouned for making fairly dull cars, but with very good seats.
I agree with Peter above that most Peugeot seats aren't long enough in the squab, and so are fairly uncomfortable. The early BX seats seem to be fairly OK, but I've never done a long distance in one. The Early CX seats in my opinon are just waaaay too soft: I always feel like I'm going to fall out of my seat in anything more than a gentle corner, and over a long distance aren't brilliant.
For really bad seats, try the two vans I have. Citroen C25 and Talbot Express (basically the same vehicle) seats are just plain awful. Anything more than an hour, and my back aches like a goodun. I'm in the middle of fitting a pair of Cav Mk3 seats to the C25 to make it bearable.
All typed while sitting on a seat from a Cav Mk2 which has been modified into an "office" chair. [:D]
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Best seats that I have sat in have to be from a Austin Maxi - like huge armchairs that you could sleep in (or was that the back seat?)! The seats from the Volvo 700 series are very suportive, but a little firm in my opinion. The seat's in my Sierra are quite nice, although you sink into them a little to much for my liking - like sitting on a bean bag with pneumatic lumber adjustment. The seats in the Xantia are ok imho. But they do lack lateral support and the bar at the base of the backrest leaves you feeling with huge amounts of backache after a few hours. Btw im 5' 11" if that makes any difference???
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
For really bad seats, try the two vans I have. Citroen C25 and Talbot Express (basically the same vehicle) seats are just plain awful.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I used to drive a Talbot Expess (a C reg or thereabouts) and the seat was lovely and comfortable but with no power steering you rarely gota chance to actually sit on it, I was usually hanging off the steering wheel trying to keep the damn thing on course.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

How tall are you? The C5 seats are the best I've sat in, certainly beating the Jag X Type leather ones and the Ford Mondeo. Not been in a BX or a Xantia in ages, well not been in a BX since they were new!
The C5 seats are the same for all models, but the Exclusive SE gets leather and electric adjustment, SX models and newer VTR and above get arm rests.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I overcame the hard cushion problem on my Xantia with a layer of soft latex foam, held in place by a suede furniture fabric sewn around the edges with a curved needle. Much, much better.