Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by bobins »

Farmer's been busy :)
One man went to mow - own work
One man went to mow - own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

the-termin8r wrote: 02 Jun 2024, 18:35 Finally perfected my Diagbox setup, no more faffing about with a laptop and accompanying metal plate. The keyboard is optional as well since the mini PC is a touchscreen. Everything now fits in a single case.

Very nice is that a permanent fixture. What OS are you running?
Darren
the-termin8r
Donor 2023

Post by the-termin8r »

The fixture is one of these, it's an adhesive magnet. It's meant for my phone, but it can support the mini PC as well. I also bought a set of larger plates as the ones that come with it were a bit small for my liking. The PC is the battery version of the Higole Gole 2 Pro.

I actually stumbled upon it while browsing AliExpress and the value for money intrigued me so I took the chance. Admittedly, it was a bit of a saga. The first one worked fine, until I tried to put a clean install of W10P on it (the Gole 1 was known for coming with a virus-ridden install of W11P), W10 wouldn't detect the touchscreen, gyro and (if I recall) the speaker. Got in touch with support, they tried to help by sending me drivers and whatnot, but it didn't work. During all of that, I tried clean W11P and Ubuntu installs, neither worked. For some reason it only works with the very specific image they put on it at the factory. Support tried to send me that image via some sketchy Chinese cloud site, but it didn't work. Got a refund for it (unfortunately lost £50 in customs) from AE.

Then I realised I could buy it from their site for cheaper and they cover customs. Second unit comes in and the WiFi and Bluetooth don't work. At this point I didn't even try to change OS, I stuck with the factory image which, thankfully, on the Gole 2 appears virus free. Got in touch with support on their site who were much nicer to deal with and way more helpful than whoever was on AE. They ended up not being able to fix it with drivers so gave me a free exchange. Unit 3 is the one I've got currently and it's working fine.

So I'm stuck to the factory W11P image which I'm not a fan of (I loathe W11), but hardware-wise it's actually pretty solid for the price. It's got some oddities and shortcomings like the screen being 53Hz (not really noticeable) and the fan exhausting to the right into your hand when you're holding it but overall it's quite good. Full metal construction, good I/O and surprisingly useable. I just wish it had an SSD instead of eMMC.
- Rob

My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. Not much can be done, sorry.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

DSCF2820.JPG
A recent view of Charmouth with friends.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hmm interesting sounds like you had quite the saga. In relation to the fan maybe it's designed for lefty's 🤣. It looks some sort of raspberry pi set up they can be quite powerful little pcs for small money but reliability can be hit and miss.
Darren
the-termin8r
Donor 2023

Post by the-termin8r »

I am a lefty LOL. I have a Pi4, but it's bolted to my 3D printer. I was considering a Pi, but it seemed like too much faff and when you factor in the other bits and pieces you'd need it comes out to about the same.
- Rob

My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. Not much can be done, sorry.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

I was thinking on doing something similar myself, but like you it seems to be too much hassle by the time you buy all your ancillary stuff
Darren
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

As I passed the landing window just now I noticed a beautiful evening sky:
Mtmo
Mtmo
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

A very lost looking pigeon. Been wandering around our little car park since early this morning. Surprising that one of the cats or the 'orrible yappy dog haven't got it. I took no notice of me standing inches away from it. Wasn't interested in the water either.
DSCN0002.JPG
DSCN0003.JPG
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My neighbour at my last place raced pigeons, is that one tame enough to check for rings? He used to lose the occasional one that crashed into power or telephone lines.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

A neighbour that breeds pigeons reckoned it is just a young one that has fallen from a nest under the solar panels over the road. I suspected avian flu but he doubts it. It has some damage on one wing that he thought could be from a hawk.

He wasn't prepared to touch it in case it was birdflu. His pigeons are vaccinated but the bloke next door has an owl and a Harris hawk, not vaccinated.

I tried to get in touch with the MOAF and DEFRA but it is telephone only contact and I don't do telephones.
Will check for a ring tomorrow but doubt that there is one.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Jun 2024, 22:40 My neighbour at my last place raced pigeons............
He must have been blooming quick Gibbo? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Armidillo »

As I've just mentioned on Jim's blog, we (Australia) celebrated King Charlie's birthday with a holiday yesterday. My family got in early, with a bonfire on Sunday night. Marshmallows were toasted, glowstix were enjoyed, and a good time was had by all!
_WW44191.JPG
_WW44237.JPG
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Citroen have a new CEO.....Citroen will concentrate on... not a lot.

"Citroën CEO Thierry Koskas said in a recent interview with Autocar that the brand will move away from the midsize segment, focusing on subcompact and compact models instead. The announced direction is yet another indication that Citroën is perceived with little cache within Stellantis"

Capture.JPG
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dogger
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

1718122478205.png