Buying C5 X - talk me out of it

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Piotr Kurten

Buying C5 X - talk me out of it

Post by Piotr Kurten »

In your opinion, is it worth getting into this hybrid?
I mean generally what Citroen-Peugeot offers at the moment.
Or maybe only Toyota? ...because that's what all the mechanics I know say...
Toyotas however do not have that awesome PHC suspension.... so... I dunno.

C5 X is made in China, though that's no problem. Or maybe it is? Waiting for spare parts from faaaaar away... hmmm... Provided of course, that there will be any parts available at some time at all, because it simply hurts to see the lack of support offered by the manufacturer today for my old & humble C5.

Or maybe Stellantis will pleasantly suprise me this time?
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Re: Buying C5 X - talk me out of it

Post by Rp0thejester »

I walk past one everyday and the more I look at it the more I think what a large lump of metal, especially the backend. For such a big heavy car it looks rather small inside, jmo
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Piotr Kurten

Post by Piotr Kurten »

I don't care how it looks. How it drives - that's another story. It's a Citroen after all.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Unfortunately not all Citreons have the comfortable ride they are known for. I drive a C8 bus and it rolls and bounces like a ship in rough water. Granted the C8 is the same as a Pug 807, Fiat Ulysses and Lancia Phaedra but having the badge doesn't guarantee a comfortable ride that Citreons are known for.
Ryan

Piotr Kurten

Post by Piotr Kurten »

This is a really bizarre situation going on at Citroen.

Dealerships are expected to sell a model, that does not physically exist... Some salesmen I talked to were not even sure what a C5x is.

The car has been available to order for months, yet you can’t even test driveone. If you do order a C5x, because it is made in Wuhan, China, it will take 88 days just to ship it from Shanghai .

I am surprised no one has picked this up.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Like I said, I see one everyday and it's big, I would say to big for what it is. I'll grab a photo of it tomorrow as there's always a car parked behind it for size comparison. I do wonder if Citroen will shy away from hybrids and electrics as they aren't known for electrical reliability. Comfort is Citroens thing and I haven't read anything about the ride
Ryan

Piotr Kurten

Post by Piotr Kurten »

That may be a trick of the stylist. Yes, it is a big car, but actually it is shorter than a Mondeo, Superb or Insignia.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

I've found all versions of C5, apart from the Mk1 estate to be far too small for the external size. I swear my old Xsara Picasso is bigger and comfier inside.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Rp0thejester wrote: 30 May 2024, 19:13 Like I said, I see one everyday and it's big, I would say to big for what it is. I'll grab a photo of it tomorrow as there's always a car parked behind it for size comparison. I do wonder if Citroen will shy away from hybrids and electrics as they aren't known for electrical reliability. Comfort is Citroens thing and I haven't read anything about the ride
There hasn't been a comfy Citroën made in large numbers since the days of the Berlingo Multispace, Xsara Picasso and C5 Mk1

My C4 Grand Picasso had a particularly harsh ride unless it was fully loaded. The C8 I had briefly was comfy, but despite being high up, the seats were too close to the floor.
paulmac1978
(Donor 2017)

Post by paulmac1978 »

I have a 2022 C5 X shine plus, it’s a 1.6 petrol only model. Had it new since December 2022 and done 31k miles. Zero issues.

Excellent car and averages 45-47mpg which for the size of the car is good. It’s quite nippy to. The 1.6 petrol only is rare as they discontinued them in most of Europe but if you can find one they are worth buying. The hybrid model though does allows you to change the suspension settings and reads the road ahead to smooth out bumps, drove both but preferred the petrol only as more suitable for the milage I do. 1.2 is good to but depends on your usage.

The room inside is fantastic, front and rear passenger space is better than most, rear especially and the leg room is best in class. Boot space is good to. They are very well equipped and quiet - they have a noise reducing acoustic windscreen and side windows which is 2 glass panels and laminate in between so they are very quiet.

Drove diesels for the last 25 years beforehand but previous 2 cars in a row had adblue issues, 2019 508 1.5bluehdi at 1year old and then 2022 C4 1.5bluehdi at 4 months old! Both had adblue injector and tank issues and left us stranded in Europe and got towed back the UK.

Drove Citroens with exception of a couple of Peugeot’s for the last 30 years, the C5 X is definitely the best built one I’ve had, particularly the interior which is outstanding.

Lots of good reviews online, carwow is probably the best one. I would recommend you go for a test drive.
PaulMac1978

2020 Peugeot 508 GT Line Fastback Pearlescent White
Previous
2015 Citroen C4 1.6 Bluehdi 120 Flair
2009 Citroen C5 X7 1.6 Hdi Estate
2001 Citroen C5 Mk1 2.0 8v Estate
1996 Citroen Xsara 1.9d
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

Had my 2023, 225 Hybrid Shine-Plus for a month now as my X7 was looking to be laid to rest, however, it lives and will be sold once i get a new MOT next week.

As I still have my X7, I can compare like for like and the "X" is definitely and improvement in some areas but not others.

Size, according to the size comparison website, the X is about 26mm (1") longer and 45mm (1¾") narrower than the X7, but the boot is bigger and easier to load, as for rear legroom possibly getting close to CX Prestiege dimensions. The X7 is much smaller inside , you could call it cosy compared to the X.

Comfort, the X7 suspension is better around town, especially through potholes, but on the open road I don't think there's much in it. I always thought my exclusive X7 was quiet, you don't really notice the 1.6 engine unless you put your foot down, in Electric mode the X wins hands down,

Build, so far so good, however, miss a few X7 niceties, such as cooled glove box and multi-height central armrest. No noises creaks or rattles yet. Self levelling suspension WILL be missed.

Driving, as I said mines a Hybrid as SWMBO did not want to go fully Electric. I am getting over 30 miles on full electric. Only done just over 850* miles so far but I think I'm getting about 11 mile/£. (Equivalent to about 74 mpg).
*Includes a 450 mile holiday trip to Tenby.

Hybrid suits me as I can charge at home and do most local driving on electric, and if I'm out I look for the sub £0.45p/kw destination chargers, Podpoint etc.

I dare say there will be problems I don't know about, but so far, I think I made a good decision with the car, I would have liked to keep driving the X7, but didn't think it was possible until after I'd paid my deposit.😏
Attachments
Screenshot_20240601_110645_Waterfox.jpg
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Piotr Kurten

Post by Piotr Kurten »

Thanks for all the info.
Just picked up an ex-demo Passat estate with 2nd gen DCC suspension which feels much better than my current C5. No self leveling, but very comfy. I don't know how, but they did it without any hydraulics etc. Electronics only.
I'm gonna keep the Passat for a long time, probably till the wheels fall off.
I did some digging and it turns out you can buy anything & everything (OEM) even for 10-15 years old Passats. There's a pattern which they seem to follow.
Citroen don't want to supply parts for their old models? Oh just f..k 'em.