Clio3 Dci No engine cranking +++

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mike2909

Clio3 Dci No engine cranking +++

Post by Mike2909 »

Hello, My first post and obviously in trouble.
My wife was going to work at 5am this morning in our Clio.
It's a 2011 1.5dci . We have had no previous issues.
She started the car as normal and drove out the drive , lights were on and all working correctly. She put on the wipers to clear the screen (early morning mist) used the screen wash , put down both windows to clear the side view all ok. Put the wipers on again and got a beep beep and the STOP light came on. She pulled over switched off and then tried to start again. NOTHING at all. No engine cranking just nothing.
She phoned me and I went down to see if it was anything easy, she was just a half mile from the house.
All the lights on the dashboard work. But we have no wipers, no exterior lights . Interior lights work, rear wiper works but not the front ones. Everything else works ,
The headlight warning lights on the dashboard show the headlights as on but they are not on. Indicators work.
I took the spare key down to see if it was an immobiliser issue but its just the same. Central locking works , but nothing when I try to start.
The battery is only 3 months old, I replaced it just after the MOT as it was losing charge regularly. The Clio is in daily use and we have had no issues at all up until this.
We are now waiting on the AA arriving around 9am ( 4 hour wait) but just curious if anyone more experienced with the Clio can shed some light on this .
Thanks in advance
Mike
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Clio3 Dci No engine cranking +++

Post by Paul-R »

When the AA do get there they will do a scan of the car's ECUs. It would be interesting to see what they find.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Mike2909

Post by Mike2909 »

Arriving in 10 mins. I will update later.
Mike2909

Post by Mike2909 »

Well that was a non event . Clio on its way to my garage.
They (the AA) don't appear interested in trying to fix it roadside.
He checked the battery and the terminals even though electrics are obviously working. I asked him do you not scan it to see if there are error codes. Answer - My computer is slow this morning , its not getting any readings !!!! We pay all that money every year and the first time you need them ??
Had to roll it to a safe place to get it lifted and he said try and bump start it , it started straight away but the STOP light is on and the wipers and lights still not working so its away to the garage.
I will update next week after they have looked at it .
Anyone with advice always welcome to comment.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

No advice just wishing you good luck.

If you hadn't mentioned it I would have suggested the battery though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

A sad story I must say Mike. However although I have no knowledge of the Clio, the symptoms sound like a master fuse of some type has blown cutting power to certain areas of the car. Given the amount of things she used when getting going, it may simply have overloaded and popped but that is all speculation. It will be interesting to read the result when you have it, good luck :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Mike2909

Post by Mike2909 »

Got the Clio back from the garage Thursday. Cause of all the problems , the fusable link on the positive battery terminal. Apparently a very common problem. So common in fact that the part is out of stock at Renault UK with no delivery date foreseen. Anyone who can supply me with Renault part number 8200427594 please contact me . It only costs £15 new but there is a second hand one for sale on ebay ( with no guarantee) at £65 lol.
My garage has done a temp fix to get me back on the road but has advised me to get it replaced when I can get hold of the part. Cause of the part failure - corrosion.
I hope this helps anyone else if you get electrical problems and can't find a straightforward reason.