Intermittent starting problem - diesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samcro

Intermittent starting problem - diesel

Post by samcro »

I have a 106 1.5d with a strange starting problem.
Generally the car is fine and starts almost immediately but on occasions it has trouble starting. The engine will crank as normal but just won't fire. Usually after a short wait it starts as if nothing was wrong. Sometimes taking the key out and then putting it back in seems to fix it. It can happen when the engine is hot or cold.
My initial thoughts were something up with the immobiliser (transponder in key type), or a sticking fuel cut-off solenoid. It may be air in the fuel, but I'd have thought this would also cause problems after starting (which I'm not getting).
The car is for sale: http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=15485 but I don't really want to be selling a car that I know to have a fault.
Any ideas welcome.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Oldest son has a 1.1 106 - 1998 vintage as yours. Same problem. I replaced transponder pick up mounted around steering mounted key: problem gone.
Around £15 and 30 mins..
samcro

Post by samcro »

Cheers,
I shall investigate.
Did you just get the replacement transponder from a pug dealer?
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

I would agree that the transponder pick up coil is the first place to look. If you take the assembly off the ignition lock barrel, the plastic housing unclips. The problem is poor connections between the pins of the aerial coil and the surface mounted edge connector on the pc board. The pins go out of line as the coil ends are soldered in the factory as they are embedded in thermoplastic.
Carefully align the pins, clean and file the moulding (housing) to give full engagement with the connector. Finally give the pins a thin coating of vaseline to inhibit further tarnishing.
Valeo strikes again, I'm afraid - this firm has a lot to answer for in terms of PSA vehicle reliability.
rotodiesel.